Totschooling: Practical Life Skills for 18-24 Months Old (Part 1)

Upon arriving home from our dinner date with my family last week, I asked my little Queen B to remove her shoes and socks as I go to the bathroom. When I returned, not only was she able to remove both shoes and socks, she had placed a sock on each shoe and put her shoes in the stairs where her other footwear are located. It was a proud mommy moment for me.

I have never thought that the sight of socks in a pair of shoes can make me so happy. 

A very important aspect of our totschooling is the teaching of practical life skills. Practical Life Skills are various skills that are useful in one’s life. These skills allow a person to become independent and thrive in society. If it is helpful in one’s life, it is considered as a practical life skill. For a toddler like my little Queen B, removing an article of clothing like shoes and socks is a very simple practical life skill that can be built upon as she grows up and is capable of doing more.

Practical life skills activities teach children the proper way to do the routines of a person’s everyday life. It teaches them responsibility and accountability. It also shows them that even at such a young age; they are an important contributing member of society.  

In our household we mostly teach practical life skills by modelling it and then letting our little Queen B practice the skill until she masters it. The 18 to 24 months of age is a magical period as I am experiencing. Young children of this age group likes imitating other people especially their parents. If I am sweeping the floor, my little Queen B will get our extra broom and “help” me. When she sees me putting on lipstick, she will point to her lips and pucker up, waiting for me to put some on hers too! Due to this, I believe this is a great period to start teaching practical life skills (if you haven’t already).

And to guide you in your own totschooling, here is a list of practical life skills for 18 to 24 months old which we are currently and planning to teach our little Queen B.



1. Feed one-self using spoon and fork.

Ever since she is old enough to have solids, our little Queen B eats her meals with us. She sits on her high chair which is placed between me and J. With this set-up, she gets to observe us as we eat our own meal and use our utensils. As we practice Baby Led Weaning, most of her early solids are finger foods cut into appropriate shapes and size.

When she showed interest in using a spoon, we gave her a small plastic one to practice with. We have also started serving her the same dishes we eat. For months, it seems like I am doing general cleaning after every meal as most of her food ended up on the floor. 

When she tires of her utensils, she uses her hands to feed herself. 
It was only during the 2nd quarter of this year that she grew an appetite big enough to finish her meal and became more adept in using the spoon. Truly, practice makes perfect. Mealtimes are still messy but most of it is now contained in her high chair. Currently, she is learning how to use the fork properly.

Our little Queen B is actually better in using the spoon with her left hand but lately she is showing preference in using her right hand. 
2. Drink from a glass and cup.

Our little Queen B had never enjoyed drinking from a sippy cup; she prefers a glass and later on a straw cup. But nowadays, our little Queen B refuses to drink from any cup or glass except the same glasses J and I use which are mason jars. We only put a small amount of liquid on it as she still has the tendency to tilt the glass higher than it should be therefore having the liquid spilling all over her. We plan to increase the amount of water or juice as she gets better with it.

Drink up, George!
Thankfully, it seems that she have lost that habit of throwing her cups and spoons for unknown reason. I still do keep a watchful eye over my mason jars, though.

Here is our little Queen B holding a tea cup during her tea party with her cousin Ate Aki. 
3. Brushing of teeth.

Even though baby teeth will still be replaced later on with permanent ones, it is still quite important to take care of these pearly whites. It is recommended to start brushing using an appropriate toothbrush as soon as the first tooth erupts. Our little Queen B’s now 16 teeth are brushed at least twice daily. She brushes her teeth by herself first then I will redo it to ensure that it is cleaned properly.

Our little Queen B loves how her toothbrush stands on its own. Whenever she sees it, she wants to brush her teeth.  Bought 2 pairs of this toothbrush for 66 Php only at Japan Home Store. Despite of its low price it is sturdier compared to famous cartoon character's toothbrushes we bought before. 
Since she still doesn’t know how to gargle and spit out water, I only place a very tiny amount of toothpaste on her brush. As much as possible I brush my teeth with her so she can see how I am doing it. 

4. Washing and drying of hands.

Good hygiene is important in staying healthy which is why we made washing hands as part of our routine when having meals. We take her to the sink to wash her hands before a meal. At first, she just let us do it but lately she is taking a more active role. Afterwards, she will dry her hands using a cloth or towel which she can already do all by herself.

When running water and soap is not readily available, we use hand sanitizer. J taught Georgina when she was still less than a year old how to rub her hands when hand sanitizer is placed on her hands which she continues to practice up to this day.

5. Removing and putting on clothes.

"Okay George, we are now putting on your onesie. We are going to put this over your head and pull it down." Even when she was still an infant, whenever we dress our little Queen B we try to explain to her what we are doing. Once she was able to have more control of her arm, J taught her how to shoot her tiny arms into the sleeves.

Nowadays, I let her remove her own clothes. I actually don’t need to show her how as she figures it out all by herself. I just remove the snaps if present especially those in the back and I must have patience as it takes time for her to remove her clothes especially lower body garments. Of course, when I see that she is stuck I ask her if she wants my help and if she nods that is the only time I will remove her clothes for her.

She can also put on some clothes now. She prefers ours, though. She loves putting on my tank tops or her cousin Ate Aki’s shirts. I guess this is her early foray into the wonderful world of playing dress up.  


Our little Queen B using a hankie as a bonnet. I'm excited to see what she'll come up with on her next dress up play. 

Ooops, this post is getting too long so let’s take a break, shall we? I’ll post the continuation very soon. 

#xoxo

Click here  for Part 2. 

Comments

Popular Posts