Letter of the Week Totschool Series: C and D

There are 26 letters in the alphabet. These letters made up the words we read, speak, and hear. But do you know that you and your kids can actually have 26 weeks of arts, crafts, exploration, activities, and, most important of all, fun with the 26 letters of the alphabet?

Come and join me and my little Queen B in discovering how fantastic the letters of the alphabet could be as I share to you our Letter of the Week Totschooling Series. Today, I’m sharing what we have done for Letters C and D. 

Please click here for A and B.


Week 3: Letter C

Books of the Weeks:

We really had a good selection of books for C week. Despite its length, our little Queen B was able to sit through one reading of Cat in the Hat by Dr.Seuss. It was only lately, though, that she was able to enjoy The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. She loves pretending to be the caterpillar that gets to eat all those delicious treats in the book. I wonder when she’ll appreciate The Very Quiet Cricket also by Eric Carle which is a nice picture book that features different insects.

Arts and Crafts:

An outline of letter C plus stickers in car shapes equals an easy letter C craft that provides a good practice of our little tots’ fine motor skills. I drew some black rectangles along the outline of the letter to make it look like a road in which the cars are traveling on.

Inspired by one of our books of the week, we made a caterpillar as our animal that starts with the letter C using circles of different colors. I drew the tiny feet and antennae of the caterpillar.

Fingerprint artworks are also quite easy to do with toddlers and they are the perfect size for our C fruit; cherries. I, of course, added the stems. I, actually, served a cherry for my little Queen B to eat which she refused to do so.

Fine Motor Skill:

We can also use food in our pantry in teaching our toddlers. The goal of this activity is to shoot the cheerios or fruit loops cereals into the uncooked spaghetti held upright by a big lump of playdough. To make everything edible as toddlers love to put almost everything into their mouth, you can make edible play dough using the recipes here. I only used ordinary play dough so I kept a careful watch so George will not eat the cheerios that touched the play dough.



Week 4: Letter D

Books of the Week:

The Magic Donkey Ride is our first picture book by British poet Giles Andreae. His books are fun to read as they rhyme. Rhymes help develop our children’s language and literacy skills. Beatrix Potter is also famous English writer. She is also an illustrator, a natural scientist, and conservationist. Her books feature animals like The Tale of Jemima Puddle-duck. It is my plan to collect her other books.

Arts and Crafts:

I admit I have done most of the work here as my little Queen B easily gets bored when coloring. I, first, drew an outline of the letter D and then added the peak-like structures as the skin of dragon fruit while the center is the insides of the fruit.

D is for a door. It so happened that my little Queen B has a photo that looks like she is knocking on a door so we placed her picture behind the door made of brown art paper. She loves opening the door to see her image on the other side.

Fine Motor Skill:

Sticking on stickers is such a mess-free activity for the kids that allow them to practice their fine motor skills. George stuck on the dolphin stickers as our animal that starts with letter D while I drew the waves.

Music:

Using a free five little ducks printable from www.picklebums.com, my little Queen B and I had fun singing Five Little Ducks and, of course, the Filipino version, May Tatlong Bibe which is why one of the ducks has a feather (which I got from our feather duster) pinned on it.


I hope our activities and adventures inspire you to do something similar with your kids. Let us make their first learning experiences fun so they will continue to enjoy learning as they grow up. Stay tuned for more. Have a nice day!

#xoxo

Comments

Popular Posts