Practicing Self-Care


American journalist, activist, author, and former First Lady of California, Maria Shriver once said: “Having kids – the responsibility of rearing good, kind, ethical, responsible human beings – is the biggest job anyone can embark on”. And mothers, most of the time, take the bulk of this wonderful yet draining job so it’s no wonder that a lot of us, me definitely included, feel overwhelmed.

The combination of raising kids, running a household, and for others, even working full time outside the home makes one mother’s life full of things to do and tasks to accomplish. It is very easy to forget about our own needs and wants as we see to the needs and wants of our family. But I strongly believe that we, mothers, must take time for self-care.

The School of Social Work of the University of Buffalo in New York defines self-care as activities and practices we can engage in on a regular basis to reduce stress and maintain and enhance our short-and longer-term health and well-being. They also said that it is necessary for one’s effectiveness and success in honoring personal and professional commitments.

I have observed that when I’m tired and besieged with chores, I tend to have more tendencies to be short-tempered, careless, and sadly, selfish. I also get sick easily when I overlook my self-care practices. And as an introvert with a toddler who demands my constant attention and affection, the need for self-care is more pronounced.

Truly, there are many reasons why we, mothers, should take time in our busy schedule to do self-care. And today, I would like to share with you some of my favorite self-care practices.

1. Fellowshipping with our Almighty God

Honestly, it was only this year that I made cultivating my fellowship with God a priority and a regular habit. It was the best decision ever! As I know God more and His Will, the more I feel rest in my life. Problems, chores, and the daily grind of life seemed lighter for me. I discover that when I am filled with love and guidance from Him, I can’t help but share the overflow to others thereby making my service to my family and others feel like a privilege. My time with Him also allows me to orient my will to His. Even Jesus, himself, regularly withdrew from the crowd and his apostles to commune with his Father and be refreshed.

2. Exercising

I would love to lose some pounds and go back to the body I had when J and I first met but I’m painfully aware that will be no easy task. It probably requires hours in the gym and a strict low-calorie diet; two things I simply can’t do right now. My lower metabolism due to my age is also working against this goal. Instead, I’m now aiming for strength, endurance, and just overall healthy condition with my 30-40 minutes simple exercise routine at home using the dumbbell, kettle ball, jumping rope and yoga mat I have purchased long ago.

I need to be physically strong (as well as emotionally, mentally, and spiritually) for my little Queen B. 

3. Reading Books

Reading is my oldest self-care practice. Ever since I discovered the joy of reading, it has become an integral part of me. It is fun and enriching to discover different worlds in the pages of a well-written book. Even a trip to a bookstore is a treat for me. 

What's next in my reading list. 

4. Drinking coffee uninterrupted

An uninterrupted coffee time is a precious commodity for a mom. Morning is always a busy time for me as I need to prepare breakfast, make sure Georgina finished her meal, clean up, do other household chores, have Totschool time with my little Queen B, do my exercise routine, and then prepare lunch. Most of the time, I drink half of my coffee (my favorite beverage aside from water) cold. Thankfully, J let me have uninterrupted coffee time during our almost-weekly coffee shop date after attending church service. For 30 minutes or so, he is fully in-charge of Georgina so I can enjoy drinking my favorite White Chocolate Mocha in peace. 
As I enjoy my coffee, these two are busy playing. 

The only way for me to enjoy a cup of joe in peace is to have it while my little Queen B naps!

5. Taking an afternoon nap

One of the perks of being a stay-at-home mom is I can take an afternoon nap with my little Queen B. It’s not something I do every day as it’s also during her nap time I get to write or read but it’s so replenishing when I do it. 

6. Taking a walk around our neighborhood

When the weather permits, my little Queen B and I enjoy an afternoon walk around our village. We do spend a sizeable portion of it talking about the things we are seeing like a unique leaf or an eye-catching flower as part of our totschooling. But we also spend a portion of it quietly. It's a time for the two of us to process our thoughts. And it's also a good way to burn some calories. 

7. Cooking a New Dish

Admittedly, cooking can be tiring but it is something I truly enjoy. I love trying out new dishes. It's very affirming to see them enjoy the meals I lovingly prepared for them. It's also a cheaper way to try different cuisines. Nowadays, I have this fascination with Asian dishes. 
Korean Kimchi Dumplings or Mandu, the latest new recipe I cooked. It's a hit with everyone!

8. Travelling

Researching and then planning an itinerary is already therapeutic for me. One of the things I regret not doing more when I was still single is travelling but it’s okay because now I get to do it with my two most favorite people in the world: my husband J and our little Queen B. It’s our goal to travel and have a vacation to a new destination at least once a year.
Our first beach escapade as a family. My little Queen B and I joined J on his team's outing last summer.

9. Writing

I know it has been a while since my last blog post but it doesn't mean I am not writing. My write ups lately are in the form of my captions in my blog's official Instagram account (By the way, it's @inspiredbybaby_ph). These past weeks there were some changes in our schedule and I must admit I have been a little busy with my readings. I do promise to write more often now. 


There are many ways to do self-care. It really depends on your interests and preferences. Self-care can be as simple as watching the sunset or as indulgent as a full day at the spa. What’s important is for you to take the time to refresh and replenish your body, mind, and soul.


How about you, what are your favorite self-care practices? Please share in the comments section below. I would love to hear from you. 

Comments

Popular Posts