2 Lessons Learned from 2 Years of Homeschooling

The other day, Facebook reminded me that it has now been 2 years since we officially started our homeschooling journey with our little Queen B. We started being more intentional in teaching her when she was just 18 months old, just a toddler and now she's 3.5 years old, a precious little girl. Why is it that time with your kids can be very slow and yet very fast?

To celebrate our 2 years of homeschooling, let me share with you 2 valuable lessons I have learned as a homeschooling mom. 




1. There is not one best method/flavor in homeschooling. 

When we first started homeschooling, my method/flavor of choice is the traditional homeschooling. Traditional homeschooling is like bringing the school inside your home. We do similar activities kids do in a classroom set-up. With me being a product of regular schooling and with my background as a teacher, I guess it is just natural that I utilized this method. But even though she enjoys our activities, she is not retaining some of the lessons we are doing. 
Our very first homeschooling activity. I have to literally guide her hand in pasting the pieces of paper to form the letter A.

Thankfully, one of the many advantages of homeschooling is its flexibility. Unlike in a regular school set up where each class can have 15 or more students with different learning styles and temperaments, a teacher-parent can easily customize an activity or a lesson according to the interests and abilities of her child. This is harder to do in a traditional classroom set-up. Most of the time, the teacher will have to just choose one method and hope that each student will learn the topic. (This is why parents still need to do some reinforcements at home to ensure that their child really understands the topic.) 

My little Queen B's disinterest in learning the alphabet, numbers, or even the colors led me to consider other flavors of homeschooling. During a conversation with a mentor, she introduced me to Charlotte Mason and her principles which I am now applying to our homeschooling along with some Montessori principles. Currently, she is really thriving with this approach. 
Weather permitting, we try to spend more time outdoors even if it is just in our tiny garden.
During our stay in Negros last May, she spent hours with these ducklings.
Poetry Tea Time is now a weekly occurrence in our home.
Recently, we started doing watercolor painting in preparation for our future nature journals. 
Bought that water jug especially for her.
Pouring one own's drink is a common pre-school Montessorian practice.
Maybe in the future, we'll make use of other flavors like the Unit Studies or even Unschooling. 

2. Homeschooling is a lifestyle. 

Homeschooling is far more than a way to educate our children. It is a lifestyle. It is viewing every situation we come across as a learning opportunity, not only for our children but to us, parents, as well. It is being intentional in every aspect of parenting. 

Homeschooling is not just teaching the academics but also life skills, nature appreciation and protection, the arts, healthy lifestyle choices, financial management, values, relationship building, and most importantly, for us, our faith in God. I have to be constantly mindful of what I say and do around her especially at this stage of her childhood because she is largely learning from my example. It is challenging and tiring but whenever we see evidence of this intentionality, it makes every effort worth it. 
A trip to the supermarket is always a learning experience.
In this picture, we are looking at live shrimps. 
She now accompanies me when I go to the market.
I even let her choose the vegetables we are going to buy like those string beans.
I am very blessed to be homeschooling my daughter at this period when it is more recognized, accepted, and even gaining popularity. More and more families are considering homeschooling their children because of its many benefits. Support systems are in abundance for homeschoolers, even for those who do independent homeschooling. Materials and tools are much readily available than ever. There are also numerous workshops and seminars being organized to equip parents in being their children's teachers.

Even though we are still in the early years of our homeschooling (we intend to do this until high school unless our little Queen B seriously and thoughtfully expresses a desire to go to regular school), I am amazed at how remarkable our journey has been so far. I am elated to be with her during the "aha" moments. My heart swells with gladness whenever she displays an understanding of concepts, even if not directly taught. Every day she surprises me with her wit and imagination. Indeed, homeschooling is best for our family. 

Yours, 

Lady




Comments

Popular Posts