MIBF 2019: What I'm Looking Forward To



“Where is human nature so weak as in the bookstore?” – Henry Ward Beecherr

For bookworms, where indeed? And this coming September 11 to September 15, 2019, the Manila International Book Fair (MIBF), the biggest book fair in the Philippines will once again open its doors. Are you ready?


Ever since my first MIBF two years ago, I have become a fan of this annual book fair. It is a great experience to be with hundreds, if not more than a thousand (per day), fellow book lovers, looking and shopping for books to fill their bookshelves. And now on its 40th year, MIBF promises to be bigger than ever.

Here is what excites me to the upcoming 40th MIBF:

1. Filipino Children Books on Sale

Local children books are why I decided to first come to MIBF and it didn’t disappoint. Each time, I came home with Filipino picture books that instantly became my little Queen B’s favorites.

Through MIBF, I discovered that Filipino children literature is alive and thriving. From re-telling of Filipino folklores, legends, fables, and myths to modern stories that addresses various issues, there is a picture book that will capture the heart of a Filipino child. A lot of these books are even written in both the English and Filipino language so your child can practice his Filipino-reading skills. Some even comes in other dialects like Bisaya and Ilocano.

Adarna House, Lampara Publishing House, Tahanan Books, and Chikiting Books will all be present again this year at MIBF. Some of them had even released their pricelist online; giving you time to plan ahead your shopping list.

Like before, I will be bringing my little Queen B with me to choose some of her books. As a mom, it will be interesting to see what will be her choices this year. Will she be leaning towards animal stories or those with human characters?I am curious.

The children’s literature section of MIBF is kid-friendly. The shelves and tables are lower making it easy for young readers to browse. There is also lots of space to read the books they chose. Some publishers even have treats for kid customers. Aisles are also bigger so you can definitely bring your strollers with you, just in case, the young ones need to take a nap. The big publishers also have programs and activities for the kids like book reading, crafts, and others. Last year, my little Queen B watched a puppet show over at the Chikiting Books stall.    



2. Homeschooling Books

Even though we are planning to start our “official” homeschooling lessons when our little Queen B turns 6, we are preparing for it as early as now. I have long ago listed the books we’ll be using for our homeschooling and I have been gradually acquiring them as most of these books are a bit pricey. I’m hoping to buy some of them at a lower price at MIBF and even find others not in my list. Truly, MIBF is a homeschooler’s friend.

Even non-homeschooling parents will enjoy looking at the Textbook Section of MIBF for supplementary materials for their kids. There are lots of activity books and textbooks available.

3. Educational materials and toys, school supplies

 Maps, charts, mini-science laboratory equipment, science models, journals and notebooks, pens, and many more will also be on sale at MIBF. Last year, I bought a metamorphosis of a butterfly model for my little Queen B which helped our nature study of a butterfly. I’m hoping to find another one, maybe of a bee. 



4. Christian literature for the husband and me

J is an auditory learner, meaning he learns best by listening but last year, he was able to finish reading Jason Tan’s Man Up from CSM Publishing. It did help that he had attended a talk by the author about the said book at our church. This year, I’m looking forward to encouraging him to read more by finding Christian literature that will capture his interest. 



Of course, as the official bookworm of the family, I am also looking forward to buying Christian literature for myself (I can also share these with J and even, later on, use it on our homeschooling). I am hoping to find Christian classics, inspirational books especially of local authors, and a couple of Christian leadership books.

This year, CSM Publishing (Church Strengthening Ministry) will be having an Early Bird Book Deal. As their tradition, they will be selling their books and journals at 100 Php each or at 2 for 100 Php. But if you buy them from 10 AM to 11 AM, you will be given an additional 10% discount. Good thing, I’m planning to be there early! Their books will make lovely Christmas presents to your co-workers, friends, and even family members. 



Another Christian literature publisher I’m looking forward to visiting is OMF Literature. The new titles they are releasing this year are very interesting. They also have books for kids. As Proverbs 22:6 says, “Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.”    

5. MIBF Learning Sessions

I wasn’t able to attend any of the talks in the previous years so this year, I already included it in my schedule. This year their Learning Sessions are geared towards educators and parents (Hey, I’m both!). Most of the talks are free but some do have fees.


With these to look forward to, I am sure it will be another terrific MIBF experience for me.

My tips to newcomers to MIBF:

  •    Come early and on a weekday

If schedule permits, then do visit MIBF on a weekday and as soon as the fair opens. There will be fewer people compared on weekends. You will be able to browse the exhibitors’ collections at a much leisurely pace and the pathways will be less crowded. 

  •   Avail free tickets from publishers/exhibitors

Some publishers and exhibitors are offering free tickets to MIBF. They either give it away on their physical stores or you can download then print it. Ticket prices to the fair are 35 Php for regular adults and 20 Php for students, senior citizens, and PWDs. Infants and toddlers come in for free as well as teachers with the presentation of a valid ID. But why line up and pay for tickets when you can get in for free, right? 
  •   Wear comfortable clothing and footwear

Two floors of the enormous SMX Convention Center in Mall of Asia will be occupied by MIBF so expect a lot of walking. 

  •    Bring a reusable shopping bag

Even if you’re not planning to hoard books, it is always a good idea to have a reusable shopping bag wherever you go and refuse those single-use plastics. It is an easy and do-able way to alleviate our growing plastic problem. But if you’re planning to load up on books, then a trolley might be a better option for you.

Are you coming to the 40th MIBF? What are you looking forward to? Please do share in the comments section. I would love to hear from you.

Yours, 

Lady
 


Comments

Popular Posts