MIBF 2018: What I'm Looking Forward To

"You can't buy happiness but you can buy a book, and that's kind of the same thing." - Anonymous

In general, I'm not an impulsive buyer except when it comes to books. Ever since I have discovered the joy of reading, books have been a constant part of my life. Yes, there are books I have enjoyed much more than others but I have never regretted a single book purchase I made. 

And right now, I'm looking forward to another book shopping spree at the 39th Manila International Book Fair this coming September 12-16, 2018 at the SMX Convention Center Manila, Mall of Asia Complex, Pasay City.


The Manila International Book Fair is an annual event for book lovers here in the Philippines. From big bookstore chains to independent bookshops to international and local publishing outfits to academic and religious publishers, all of them will be presenting and selling their latest and best-selling collections at lower prices. There will also be sellers of school supplies, teaching aids, and other book or publishing-related products. This year, MIBF boasts of having more than a hundred exhibitors. Aside from that, book launches, book signings, meet-and-greets, and other activities will occur all throughout the five-day fair. 


I attended my first MIBF last year with a friend and her family and I was overwhelmed with the choices as well as the number of people that were there. We went on a Saturday so the place was truly jam-packed with book lovers. If not for the two toddlers we have with us, we will probably be lining up for hours just to get inside but thankfully, we were allowed immediate entrance. Inside, it was a challenge to visit all the exhibitors much less browse through all the titles they have. But despite that not so ideal  experience, I'm still excited to go to this year's MIBF and here are why:

1. Lots of Filipino Children Books Are On Sale

It takes a lot of browsing and visits but sooner or later I'm able to find international picture books I would like to have for my daughter at second-hand bookshops. But local children books are a different matter. There is no second-hand bookstore that sells them so my only choice is to buy them at their regular price. MIBF presents an opportunity to buy local children books at a discounted price. 

Adarna House, Lampara Publishing House, Tahanan Books, and Chikiting Books will all be present at this year's MIBF with their latest and best-selling books for children. The prices will not be that low but a little discount is better than no discount at all. Last year, I was able to buy several titles from both Adarna House and Chikiting Books. One book from Chikiting Books was even signed by its author who happens to be there. 


With lots of Filipino children disliking their Filipino subjects nowadays and even some who are barely fluent in our native tongue, one solution to this growing problem is to introduce our children to fun and interesting books in Filipino. I am also hoping to see some children books in other Filipino dialects like Bisaya and Ilonggo, both of which J can read and speak fluently. 

2. CSM's Book Stop Over

Church Strengthening Ministry is one of the biggest publishers of Christian and inspirational books in the country. Last year, I bought two books from them and regretted why only two. Their books are lovely gifts you can give to anyone this coming Christmas season. 



3. National Bookstore's Book Binge Bazaar

Brand new books for as low as 75 Php. Do I need more reasons to go to this event? I grew up visiting National Bookstore all year-round. Whether to buy school supplies, magazines, textbooks, or novels, there is always a reason to visit this homegrown institution. So I'm pretty excited to see the books they will have on sale. Aside from that, they will also be selling school supplies at a discount so it's time to hoard some new pens and notebooks. 


Those are my three main reasons why I'm going to this year's Manila International Book Fair but aside from that, I'm just looking forward to spending a day surrounded with books and people who love them as much as I do. 

A few tips for those coming to this event for the first time:
  • Come on a weekday and early. If schedule permits, then I strongly suggest you visit on a weekday and as soon as the fair opens so there will be fewer people compared on weekends. You will be able to browse the exhibitors' collections at a much leisurely pace and the pathways will be less crowded. 
  • Print free tickets from some of the publishers/exhibitors. Some publishers and exhibitors are offering free tickets you can download from their websites. Ticket prices to the fair are 35 for regular and 20 Php for students, senior citizens, and PWDs. Infants and toddlers can come in for free as well as teachers with the presentation of a valid ID. But why line up and pay for tickets when you can get in for free, right?
  • Wear comfortable clothing and footwear. Like last year, two floors of the enormous SMX Convention Center in Mall of Asia will be occupied by MIBF so a lot of walking will be involved. 
  • Bring a reusable shopping bag. Even if you're not planning to hoard books, it is always a good idea to bring a reusable shopping bag with you and refuse those single-use plastics they will wrap your purchases with. It is an easy and simple way to alleviate our growing plastic problem. 

It will be challenging but I will still be bringing my little Queen B with me. Aside from the fact that we don't have a yaya, I would like her to choose some of the books we'll be buying for her. As she grows older, I know I must allow her freedom in making her own choices and for now, it's with books. 

How about you? Are you coming to this year's MIBF? If you are, what are you looking forward to? Please share in the comment section below. I would like to hear from you. 

Yours, 

Lady



Comments

Popular Posts