Hakab Na! Laguna 2015 (Big Latch On)

Exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months: My little Queen B and I did it!!!

The World Health Organization (WHO) and the United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) recommend exclusive breastfeeding starting within one hour after birth until the baby turns six months in age. It means the infant only receives breastmilk as a source of nutrition without any additional food or drink, not even water. I am very happy and proud to report that despite the challenges I faced I was able to give the best source of nutrition for my little Queen B.

Coincidentally, my first six month journey in breastfeeding ended just in time for the celebration of the World Breastfeeding Week and the National Breastfeeding Awareness Month. As part of promoting awareness about breastfeeding, every August 1 thousands of breastfeeding moms all over the world come together at registered locations and with their babies latched on simultaneously. This event is known as the Big Latch On or Hakab Na here in the Philippines. This year I am very glad to be part of this momentous occasion.

Here in the Philippines, Hakab Na events are organized by Breastfeeding Pinays (BFP) and several of its offshoots group. BFP is a Facebook group of breastfeeding moms who got members all over the Philippines and even abroad. I joined the one held at the function room of the city hall of my own hometown City of Santa Rosa, Laguna. Mommies Isay Jacinto-Dalisay, Gretch Sykes, and Karen Olmedilla initiated the first ever Hakab Na for Laguna-based moms. They partnered with JCI Santa Rosa Prima. Pre-registration and payment of the registration fee are required for the event. The 150 Php fee is inclusive of the mom’s meal and a Hakab Na shirt for the baby.

Happy to be at my first ever Hakab Na event!

Upon arrival, each mom was asked to sign at the registration table. For moms with older kids, their children can play at the play area by Geeky Giraffe Learning Center or listen to some story telling by Montessori Children’s House of Brentville.



Older kids enjoying play acting at the Geeky Giraffe booth. Photos are from Geeky Giraffe Learning Center.

Various desserts and sweets are provided for all participating mommies by Candies and Sweets Love and RM Chocolate Addicts. J and I love the blueberry cheesecake shots!





Sweet treats for all participating mommies and daddies too!


Nursing Mommies PH, a nursing wear online seller, also have their own booth where they are selling their affordable yet stylish nursing blouses and dresses.

There is also a photobooth by Picstacular where all moms gamely posed with their little ones.

The Diaz Family picture with our little Queen B doing the look up pose. 

This year’s National Breastfeeding Awareness Month theme is “Tama, Sapat, at Eksklusibo ang Pagpapasuso Kahit nasa Trabaho”. To help working mothers and stay-at-home mothers as well (Hey, staying at home to take care of a baby while doing household chores is also work!), the organizers invited Dr. Riza Hemedez-Gonzales and Nanay Lita Nery to share their knowledge about breastfeeding, its challenges, and steps we can do to overcome those challenges.  

The Hakab Na Laguna 2015 Programme

Dr. Riza Hemedez-Gonzalez explaining the ins and outs of breastfeeding.

Sadly, a lot of moms were unable to continue breastfeeding their babies once they return to work after their two months of maternity leave. Working moms must express their milk at regular intervals while at work if they want to sustain their milk supply. They can either do hand expression or use a breast pump for this. They have to bring a pump if using, breast milk storage containers, ice packs, and an insulated bag every day. Doing this need extra effort from these moms. I guess this is why some moms back out of continuing their breastfeeding journey. Hopefully, the discussion will encourage all moms to continue their breastfeeding journey despite any problem they might encounter.

At exactly 10:30 AM, all moms latch on their babies at the same time for 1 minute. My little Queen B latched but she also unlatched immediately. Georgina, my very curious baby, just wanted to watch all the other nursing babies. I guess feeding her 30 minutes earlier did not help my case. Still, I am happy to be part of this event that intends to break the record of the previous year’s Big Latch On.

I can't raise my hand because Georgina keep unlatching to look around her. 
 
Baby on Boob!!!
All mommies also received a loot bag that contains products and gift certificates from the Hakab Na Laguna 2015 sponsors. I also won in the Bring Me Game and in the raffle draw.

Contents of my loot bag with the prizes I won.

I really enjoyed my first ever Big Latch On experience. During the talk, I nursed my little Queen B without the use of any nursing cover. I had breastfeed on public a lot of times but I usually make use of my nursing cover. I admit I’m using it because I am not that comfortable in nursing without a cover. It is liberating to nurse without one. I am still going to use my nursing cover because my Georgina easily distracts and the cover helps limit her view of her surroundings but if she is no longer comfortable with one then I am so for breastfeeding boldly!

Our little Queen B is also happy with her first Hakab Na experience!

I am grateful to my fellow moms Isay, Karen, and Gretch for their dedication to bring this event closer to Laguna-based mothers. I am also thankful to all the sponsors namely:

Nursing Mommies PH

RM Chocolate Addict
399 Alora’s Compound Sto. Niño, Biñan, Laguna
0932 845 5643

Candies and Sweets Love Event Styling and Design
0917 420 7168

Picstacular Photobooth
0917 388 0777

Geeky Giraffe Learning Center
0949 343 1944

Montessori Children’s House of Brentville
The Village Front, Brentville International Community, Mamplasan, Biñan, Laguna
049 526 6911/ 0922 866 8849

Gymboree Sta.Rosa
049 576 0595

Fabskin Skin Care Products
0915 222 8228

Pristine Belles
F.Reyes st., Balibago, Santa Rosa, Laguna
0925 811 5638/ 049 838 1955

Cheerful Chi Spa
F. Reyes st., Balibago, Santa Rosa, Laguna
0906 245 3526

A.V.T. Dermaholics Skin Care Clinic
0917 535 4409/ 0998 223 5798

David’s Cut- Tagapo Branch
0915 626 6092

Ai-non Baby

Lactium Food Supplement
02 801 9312

Natalac Food Supplement

Indigo Baby

Thanks also for the support of the City of Santa Rosa and its leaders.

Lastly, I am appreciative of all my fellow breastfeeding moms. It is empowering to be with other breastfeeding mothers. I am targeting to breastfeed Georgina until she turns two years old or maybe even more.

Along with my fellow Laguna-based breastfeeding moms.

This month expect more posts about breastfeeding as my contribution in increasing awareness about breastfeeding and why breast is best!

#xoxo



Comments

Popular Posts