Adventures of the Travelling Georgina: The National Museum

Before our visit last May, I have only been to the National Museum twice and both of these visits happened way back in college. The first time was for a class. We were required to view the Museum of the Filipino People Exhibits.  The second time was when I accompanied my classmates to the Botany Division of the museum. It was during this particular visit that I was able to take a sneak peak of The Spoliarium. I was completely mesmerized but, unfortunately, we have to leave (Well, we are not really allowed to tour around as we did not pay the entrance fee.).  I promised myself that I will do a complete tour of the National Gallery but I graduated without stepping foot again at the National Museum.

I studied again in the same university for my masteral degree. Years later, I also took a teaching position at another well-known university which happens to be walking distance from the National Museum also. Yet, I was always too busy to visit it. I had never thought that I will be viewing The Spoliarium again with my little Queen B in my arms.  


Spoliarium by Juan Luna

The month of May is considered as the National Heritage Month. As part of the celebration, the National Museum and its branches nationwide offer free admission for the whole month. Before permanently waiving the entrance fees last July, admission was free of charge only on the months of February (National Arts Month), May (National Heritage Month), and October (National Museums and Galleries Month) as well as during special occasions. Since we don’t have prior commitments, we decided to visit the National Museum on the last weekend it will be open free of charge to the public.


We spent almost an hour in line just to get inside so it is no wonder our little Queen B is so sleepy and tired in this photo. 
The National Museum is actually composed of 3 museums namely The National Gallery, Museum of the Filipino People, and the Planetarium. All three are walking distance from each other. We only visited the first two.

Museum of the Filipino People


The Museum of the Filipino People is composed of several exhibits. The San Diego Exhibit shows the recovered cannons and other parts of the galleon San Diego. The Five Centuries of Maritime Trade Before the Arrival of the West Exhibit shows the evidences of trading between our ancestors with nearby countries long before Ferdinand Magellan arrived in 1521. The Origins (Pinagmulan) Exhibit explains our ancestors’ prehistoric way of life. The Archaeological Treasures (Kaban ng Lahi) Gallery describes secondary burial jar collections along with samples of other utilitarian vessels found from various cave sites in the Philippines. While the Filipinos and their Rich Cultural Heritage (Kinahinatnan) Exhibit focuses on our rich culture with its diversity. Some regions of our country were highlighted on this exhibit. 

Burial jar used by our ancestors. 

High demand for ivory almost made elephants extinct. 

My very curious little Queen B and a preserved crustacean. 


Babywearing has always been part of our rich culture. Oh, how I love her wrap! 
Baybayin, our very own system of handwriting. 
National Gallery

Like the Museum of the Filipino People, the National Gallery is also composed of several exhibits or galleries. Exhibitions at the National Gallery start on the 2nd floor of the building with the Old House of Representative Session Hall where the majestic Spoliarium of Juan Luna and the El Asesinato del Gobernador Bustamante by Félix Resurrección Hildalgo are displayed. Afterwards, one can either go through the South Wing or North Wing Galleries. These exhibitions generally cover Philippine Art from the 17th to the 20th centuries. The galleries in the 3rd floor feature modern and contemporary Philippine Art from the 20th to 21st centuries. Temporary exhibitions are also found on the 3rd floor. 

A depressing but very beautiful painting that shows how our ancestors suffered during the Japanese Era. 



A BenCab Exhibit was temporarily being shown during our visit. No need to go to Baguio to see his admirable works. 
I have always had a curiosity in the arts and history. In highschool, history and literature classes were my favorites. I find the stories of people from the past very fascinating. In college, I truly enjoyed our Humanities class as we went to several art galleries and watched a few plays. I must admit though that my interest was geared towards world history and arts. Back then I find our own history boring and bland. How wrong I was!

Philippine history is actually as intricate and vibrant as any other country. Our artists deserve international recognition with their brilliance and creativity. It was actually through my travels to various places in the Philippines that I have developed a deep appreciation of our very own history, culture, and works of art. I would like my little Queen B to have this too.

Our afternoon in the halls of the National Museum will certainly not be the last. The National Museum warrants several visits for one to fully absorb and appreciate everything it has to offer. With the waiving of the admission fees, I hope more Filipinos will take advantage of this opportunity to learn more about Philippine history, culture, and arts.


#xoxo 

Comments

Popular Posts