A First-time Mom's Guide to Babywearing

Weeks ago, J and I with our little Queen B, of course, were window shopping at the baby section of a nearby mall. As I passed by a mom-to-be with her family or friends, I can’t help but overhear what the mom-to-be’s friend/relative said about the ring sling the mom-to-be is looking at. She said not to buy the said product. It is only for lazy moms who don’t want to carry their child using their own arms. Also, according to her it is not healthy for the baby. Since it is not my habit to butt in on other people’s conversation especially on persons I don’t know I did not stop and correct her misconceptions about babywearing.

It is a shameful moment for me. I am an educator by profession. In my classes, I always try my best to correct my students’ misconceptions about Chemistry since most of our topics were already discussed in their highschool Chemistry subject. I know we each have our own parenting style and I will respect any parents’ decision on how they will bring up their own child as I want other people to respect my own decisions. But I also believe that parents should make those decisions with accurate knowledge on their side. That mom who trusted her friend/relative’s advice I guess since she did not buy the product may continue believing that babywearing is harmful to babies when in fact they are not. So as atonement, I would like to do my share of spreading correct information about babywearing.

Babywearing is the practice of carrying a baby using a sling or any of the various forms of carriers available. Nowadays, most baby carriers will fall into one of these five types: wrap, ring sling, pouch, mei tai, and the soft-structured carrier. The infographic below from babyvibes shows the description of each type.


Here is another chart that illustrates the advantages and disadvantages of the different types of carriers.

Right now, I have a wrap made up of jersey mesh which I used when we went swimming with our little Queen B. I have also used it when I know that I’ll be wearing Georgina continuously for hours because of its added support. Of course, on my previous post I have given you a review of my SaYa SSK, a hybrid carrier. It is still my go-to carrier when I’m press for time. I’m also still dreaming of owning an Ergo 360 for future travel plans (Shout out to J).
Wearing my little Queen B using my pink sports wrap from Izzy Breezy. Here is a link to their Facebook account. 
Our little Queen B's first swimming pool experience. No worries she will slip from my arms even though I have read that babies are actually born natural swimmers and there are even swimming classes for them.  
As I have mentioned in my previous post, my first carrier is a narrow based carrier. I have chosen it because (1) it is a two shoulder carrier and (2) it is very easy to use. I did consider the ring sling but when the saleslady was giving me a demonstration, I just can’t wrap my head around what she is saying and doing. Also, it is a one shoulder carrier which I feel would be uncomfortable in the long run. I have already seen images of wraps as baby carriers but since at that time I am still adjusting to my role as a mom to a newborn I thought I don’t have the time and energy to learn about it. Unfortunately, I didn’t know that NBCs are not recommended. I thought that since there a lot of brands out there that sell NBCs they must be good for babies. It is only when I mentioned about me having that carrier in a chat room about Baby Carriers did I found out about my wrong choice in carriers.

A narrow based carrier, also known as crotch danglers, does NOT cause hip dysplasia. According to www.webmd.com , Hip dysplasia is a condition wherein the top of the thighbone does not fit securely into the hip socket.   Most experts believed that it is developmental thus it is often called developmental dysplasia of the hip (DDH). The exact causes of it are unknown but the following increases the chances of a baby acquiring it:

Family history of DDH  
According to the International Hip Dysplasia Institute (IHDI), if a child has DDH then the risk of his/her sibling having it is 6% and if a parent has DDH then his/her child having it is 12%.

Position of the baby in the womb 
Babies in the breech position are more likely to develop DDH than babies in a normal womb position because of its constricted space.

This image is taken from hipdysplasia.org .

Being first born and being a girl
Around the time of birth, mothers make hormones that makes the ligaments (tissues that connects the bones to other bones) lax so the baby will be able to pass through the birth canal. Some babies are more sensitive to these hormones than others. If it is your first born, most probably more hormones are needed to open up your birth canal. Girls usually have higher degree of ligament laxity than boys thus DDH is likelier to occur in them.

Infant positioning during the first year of their life
During their time in the womb, babies’ hip and knees are bent (fetal position). It will take time after birth before it will stretch out naturally and since babies’ hip joint is softer than an adult’s therefore it is easier for their hips to dislocate. How their hips are positioned in the first year of their life may affect their tendency to have DDH. So the IHDI recommends healthy hip positioning for all babies to encourage normal hip development.

While in a narrow based carrier, a baby’s legs are extended with the hips and knees straight. This position is believed to be the unhealthiest position for the hips during infancy which is why NBCs are not recommended by the Babywearing International (BWI), a worldwide organization of babywearers.

Considered to be the unhealthiest position for babies' hips. This image is from hipdysplasia.org .
Babywearers are encouraged to maintain their babies in a proper hip position. This position is known by many names which include the Frog Squat position, M position, Jockey position, Straddle position, and the Spread-squat position. It is when the thighs of the baby are spread around the wearer’s torso and the hips bent so the knees are slightly elevated than the buttocks. The given types of baby carriers above allow for the optimal positioning of babies’ hips if worn properly. 

The M-position. This image is from hipdysplasia.org. 
Here is a link for ideal positioning for each of the recommended type of baby carrier. 

Ever since knowing about hip dysplasia and how to avoid it, I made sure that I’m correctly wearing my little Queen B. This infographic from www.schoolofbabywearing.com demonstrates the safety guidelines one should follow while babywearing.

  

All parents especially moms discover that babies love being carried or held. There are many instances when George doesn’t want to be put down in her crib. The moment I made a move to put her down she will cry her lungs out. I had no choice but wear her using my SaYa SSK especially if I have to do other things. Babywearing does not make me a lazy mom. I’m actually able to do household chores while attending to my baby’s need to be with me.  This infographic from www.closeparent.com shows the other wonderful benefits of wearing your baby.




Lastly, I would like to debunk a myth about babywearing. I don’t know if this is a worldwide myth or it is just here in the Philippines. A lot of people believe that babywearing can cause bow-leggedness. This is absolutely false. Babies are born bowlegged due to their position in the womb. As they grow, their legs will naturally straighten out especially once they start to stand and walk. Vitamin D deficiency, skeletal problems, tumors, infections, and rare genetic disorders are known causes of bow-leggedness.  So there is no need to straighten out their legs early on. It may cause more harm than good.

Our little Queen B can stay in her stroller for quite some time but basing on her smiles I know she is happier being worn. I hope this post will help and educate other moms (or dads!) out there about babywearing.

Happy Baby = Happy Mommy. Take note I just moved her a little higher for pictorial purpose.

#xoxo

Comments

Popular Posts