Baby Products I Love: SaYa SSK Baby Carrier

“Carrying a baby is the most rewarding experience a woman can enjoy.”
       -       Jayne Mansfield


If I could turn back time and buy another baby product before my little Queen B was born it would be the SaYa SSK Baby Carrier. During her newborn phase as I have described here, I have spent hours carrying her. It is one of the things that can calm her down. I’ll carry her in my arms while walking around the house, hoping the motion will soothe her. Yet even though she is lightweight (She was born weighing 2.8 kg and 14 days later she weighs 3.1 kg so on her third week she is probably weighing less than 3.5 kg.),  4 straight hours of carrying her took its toll on my arms, shoulders, and back. By 10 in the evening, I am so ready to sleep but most of the time we are still smack in the middle of her fussy period. I had no choice but bear the pain of rocking her to sleep. The SaYa SSK Baby Carrier would have been a great help back then.

I already wanted a baby carrier back when I was still pregnant. J and I love travelling but as we have observed sometimes bringing a stroller is not advisable. A baby carrier would be great on those occasions. I was actually targeting for an Ergobaby Carrier. We even went to the Christmas Warehouse Sale of Richwell Phils. Inc. and IGM last year hoping to score a discount on an Ergobaby Carrier but, unfortunately, none was on sale. We bought a playpen, stroller, and a car seat instead. We thought that we’ll just buy it when we already have travel plans with our baby.

Yet during my little Queen B’s fussy period, I asked (actually, demanded) J to buy a carrier for me. I can’t even have a proper dinner because George doesn’t want anyone carrying her except me. I was hoping having a carrier will allow me to do other stuff aside from carrying her all the time. So one weekend, we bought a Bebeta 6-way Carrier. I still wanted an Ergobaby Carrier but our practical side led us to buy the way cheaper Bebeta. We thought that it is a great alternative as the saleslady gave us a demonstration of the product. Regrettably, we were wrong. Upon reading up on babywearing, I found out that the Bebeta 6-way Carrier is considered as a narrow based carrier (NBC) and therefore not recommended by babywearers. Also, it had not passed safety standard tests when it comes to the sturdiness of its harnesses and buckles. There is a reason why an Ergobaby Carrier is so expensive. You are paying for your baby’s safety. I immediately stop using the Bebeta 6-way Carrier.

An inexpensive but still recommended carrier that I constantly read about is the SaYa Baby Carrier. I decided to check it out and instantly fell in love with it!

A SaYa Baby Carrier is classified as a hybrid baby carrier. It is made up of two pouches linked together to form a single unit. It is like a marriage between a pouch sling and a wrap. Like a wrap, it distributes the baby’s weight evenly across one’s shoulders and back. There are also multiple wearing positions namely the Duyan, Yakap with feet in and out options, Sakay, Lakbay, and Tangan. It offers a soft head support on a baby especially for newborns. Since it is a recommended carrier, it provides ergonomically correct position for a baby’s optimum development. It also has a stabilizer for extra security. It can even be used as a nursing cover.

The Instructional Guide every SaYa Carrier comes with.

There are two types of SaYa Baby Carrier; the Semi-Stretch Knit (SSK) Collection and the Versa-Tekk Blend (VTB) Collection. The SSK cloth is made up of 95% cotton and 5% spandex while the VTB is made up of 80% nylon and 20% spandex. Based on other users, the VTB is less prone to knots and bunches compared to SSK but its material makes it a little uncomfortable to use in the hot weather of the Philippines. Using that information as my basis, I have chosen to acquire the SSK version in Heather Gray.



These and more colors are available for SaYa SSK Baby Carrier.

The SaYa Baby Carrier is sized to fit the wearer meaning you don’t factor in the age and weight of your baby in determining the size you need. It is designed to correspond to your fitted t-shirt size. If you are pregnant at the time of purchase, please refer to your pre-pregnancy size.


Another thing to love about it is it is a local brand. Cheers to Filipino entrepreneurship!

I bought mine from Mothering Earthlings, an online store that sell baby products and mommy stuffs. It was a fast and easy transaction from them. They are also the only store that got the one I want in stock. The day I got my SaYa SSK, I immediately tried it on using my niece’s toy baby. It took me several times to master putting it on but after that it is easy as pie.
Yakap (Hug Carry), feet tucked in, with my little Queen B.

What is my little Queen B’s reaction? She loves it! According to the 1986 study of Hunziker and Barr, babies cry less when carried. This is so true. When Georgina is crying, I just have to carry and like magic she stops crying. With my SaYa, I just pop her in and continue with what I’m doing like doing household chores. I don’t have to worry that she will cry because she is happy and content to be near her Mommy. Being attached to her also taught me to read her cues effortlessly and faster too. It is easier to spot her hunger or I’m bored cues since I’m so close to her.

Enjoying the Manila Bay sunset with Georgina sleeping peacefully inside my SaYa SSK Carrier. 

The SaYa Baby Carrier proves to be worthy investment. I just don’t use it at home. Every time J and I commute with our George (We don’t bring our car when going to the city. The combined cost of toll fee, price of gasoline, and parking fee compared to the cost of commuting is enough to deter us. Also, J doesn’t like driving in the streets of Metro Manila with its unpredictable traffic condition.), she is worn using my SaYa SSK. I have also used it when we went home to Negros last April for George’s first visit to J’s family. I don’t have to worry that she will slip from my arms especially when riding the escalator or taking the stairs. I can also breastfeed her on the go. I just need to wear proper nursing clothing to do this.

While waiting for the bus that will take us to Bacolod City to catch our flight back home to Manila.
Super Mom Moment: Breastfeeding while Babywearing our little Queen B

I only have 2 problems with it. One is as our baby becomes heavier, the easier I get tired since I don’t have a stabilizer for additional support in the waist. Their stabilizers are always out of stock. Second if it had been used several times already without washing the material tends to sag easily making it harder to accomplish the recommended close enough to kiss position of the baby. Well, my 2 problems actually have solutions. I just need a stabilizer and I should wash my SaYa often so it will go back to its original elasticity.

I have already learned to appreciate the art of wrapping. I now have a sports wrap which I used when we went swimming with our little Queen B. I still wanted an Ergobaby Carrier or a Tula so J could also babywear. Well, he actually did try it with the SaYa. I think we haven’t washed it for quite some time which is why it is more elastic than usual so it fitted with J. But my SaYa SSK will always have a place with my babywearing adventures which reminds me that since my little Queen B just turned 6 months I can now do the Sakay Carrying Position. Have to practice then!

Daddy J immensely enjoying his own babywearing moments.

The Saya SSK Baby Carrier is "Inspired by Baby" Mommy (and Daddy) approved!

#xoxo

P.S. Here is a link to SaYa's Facebook Page. 

Comments

  1. The diaper held on longer than it normally would have to at home even with a highly mobile kid. Ann Royston

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts