Neonatal Sepsis

When the on-call OB/GYN in the ER confirmed that my water bag was leaking the morning of January 22, I knew I have less than 24 hours to deliver our little Queen B or else risk both of us from contracting infection. Several hours later and despite the injection of oxytocin (a substance that induces labor), my cervix only progressed to 2 cm in dilation. With the advice of my OB/GYN, J and I decided to deliver our bundle of joy thru caesarean section.

It was not an easy choice for me because the moment I find out I was pregnant I have wanted to experience childbirth in its most natural form. I wanted a normal delivery without even the aid of any medication but it was a decision I never regretted especially after seeing what my niece Yumi had undergone because of neonatal sepsis.

Neonatal sepsis occurs when a newborn baby’s blood stream is infected with bacteria. Since blood circulates all over our body, the bacteria can also infect organs such as the kidney, lungs, or even the bones. It can be treated with antibiotics, especially if it’s caught early on, but neonatal sepsis remains the most important cause of neonatal death.

Neonatal sepsis can be contacted during pregnancy, from the mother’s genital tract during labor and delivery, or after birth from contact with others. Premature and prolonged rupture of the amniotic sac, which J and I have learned this during our child birth class,  is a well known risk factor for neonatal sepsis as well as maternal fever during labor and an infection in the uterus or placenta. Infection can also be acquired by the baby during the passage through the birth canal if the mother has group B streptococcus (BGS) in her vagina or rectum.

Premature babies and babies receiving neonatal intensive care (because of their immature immune system) are more susceptible in getting infected. They usually go through invasive procedures which includes long-term intravenous (IV) lines and catheters. The incision for the IV and catheter provides a path for some bacteria to enter the infant’s body and cause an infection. Sepsis can also be acquired from unwashed hands or the environment.

Babies with neonatal sepsis may have the following symptoms:
  • Increase in body temperature or fever
  • Breathing problems
  • Diarrhea or decreased bowel movements
  • Lethargy (reduced movements or not interacting and listless)
  • Reduced sucking
  • Seizures
  • Slow or fast heart rate
  • Swollen belly area
  • Vomiting
  • Jaundice (yellowish appearance of skin and whites of the eyes)


Neonatal sepsis will only be confirmed when bacteria are identified in a culture of the newborn’s blood. While waiting for the results of the blood culture, doctors prescribe intravenous antibiotics which can be adjusted when the specific type of organism is identified. The infant may also receive other treatments like the use of ventilator, intravenous fluids, and support of blood pressure and circulation.

J and I could actually ask for more time for my cervix to dilate so I can deliver Georgina normally but my desire to have a healthy baby overcomes my dream of a normal unmedicated child birth. It was a good thing I had my surgery sooner rather than later as my little Queen B’s amniotic fluid was running low. It may have been leaking for a longer time than we thought. We were able to bring home Georgina without any complications a few days after giving birth to her.

Up to now, a bottle of isopropyl alcohol is a must-have inside our diaper bag and at home. Of course, we are no longer as OC to using it as when Georgina was still a newborn. I also let her crawl (and walk which she can briefly do now) across our floor especially before her bath time. Her immune system should still be exposed to bacteria and other organisms for it to develop antibodies against them. Also, my breastmilk continuously gives her additional antibodies. J and I try to find that balance of protecting her from infectious agents while giving her the freedom and opportunity to explore and experience her surroundings.

As for my niece Yumi, she just celebrated her first month birthday and no longer bore any signs of her struggle to survive.

#xoxo

Sources:

Comments

Popular Posts