Simplify: My Word of the Year

Instead of making New Year resolutions last year, I had a personal word of the year which was Discipline. And with that one word as my sort of mantra, I was actually able to accomplish some resolutions I have been meaning to keep for years but continuously failed to. Some of those resolutions were part of my grateful list on my last blog post. I had such a productive and amazing year with having a personal word of the year that I believe it will now be one of my yearly tradition. 

My chosen word of the year for 2019 was first impressed on me last October of 2018 during our family camp. It is one of the values our husband and wife-tandem speakers, as they have shared with us, decided to implement and hold fast to for their family. J and I immediately agreed to also have that same values for our own family. 

Since then, that word kept making its significance known to me so a week before 2018 ended, I already know what my personal word for 2019 will be and it is Simplify



According to collinsdictionary.com, the verb Simplify means to make something easier to understand or to remove the things which make something complex. It came from the French word simplifier which in turn came from the Medieval Latin word simplificare whose root word is the Latin simplus meaning simple. To simplify then is to make something simple, uncomplicated, or clearer. 



I used to believe that bigger, better, more will bring happiness in life. Yes, I became happy but only for a short while. Like an addiction, I am on high for a brief moment of time and then my emotions will come crashing down until the next accomplishment or purchase or adventure or in short, the next high. Instead of lasting joy, I became discontented and constantly on the search for true happiness, most of the time in the wrong places and persons. Sin became very prevalent in my life. 

Blessedly, I came to truly know Jesus, received the free gift of salvation thereby receiving also His joy. He had shown me, especially in the last couple of years, that true happiness and blessedness do not come from our material possessions, our travels, our achievements, the accolades we receive, our loved ones, or even our own health. Deep and enduring joy only comes from an intimate knowledge of the Lord and obedience to His will.  

Luke 11:28 reminds us, 

"But Jesus said, "Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and keep it!" (ESV)

A lot of what had happened to me last year has made me fully realized that I don't need much to be happy. Most of our plans last year did not come to fruition as we were beset with financial difficulties as the health of J's Papa deteriorated until his death in May of 2018. No home renovation, no family vacation to a new destination, no big purchases and yet despite those failed plans, most of the time I felt quite contented and joyful. 



I love what the Word of God told us in 2 Corinthians 1:12. In this passage, the apostle Paul addressed the believers in Corinth, saying

"For our boast is this, the testimony of our conscience, that we behaved in the world with simplicity and godly sincerity, not by earthly wisdom but by the grace of God, and supremely so toward you." (ESV)

God wants us to live in this world with simplicity. This does not mean we will forgo our dreams and ambitions but our earthly desires should not be the main driving force of our being. Living simply means making Jesus the center of our life, our topmost priority. As disciples of Christ, having a simple life is part of our testimony. 

As I realize this truth, I have become acutely aware of how I let achievements, accolades, and material possessions become the idols in my life. I had allowed them to control my choices, relationships, actions, thoughts, and emotions. It is now time to change that. So this 2019, I will simplify




Simplify our home by decluttering and organizing - removing the pieces that make our home life complicated and keeping those that inspire us to be better. 

Simplify my routine by choosing wisely how I spend my time - investing my time and effort to endeavors that will either help me grow or let me help in the growth of others. 

Simplify our lifestyle by living below our means, saving up and investing for the future, and making smart purchases and other financial decisions. 

Simplify my marriage by being honest with my needs and wants and at the same time by being sensitive to those of my husband's. 

Simplify my parenting and homeschooling by following God's design and will for my child. 

Simplify my walk with Christ by making Him the focus and not myself and especially not other people. 

Simplifying my life would not be easy. I know it would be a struggle, a battle. I would be fighting deep-seated desires and conditioning. On my own, I will surely fail but I will hold on to God's promise just as Paul had done ages ago. As he had said in Philippians 4: 13, 


"I can do all things through him who strengthens me." 


What is your personal word of the year? Please do share them below and let us support and hold one another accountable. 

Yours, 

Lady


Comments

Popular Posts