Thank You, 2018!

"Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has plenty; not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have the same. " - Charles Dickens

One of my favorite page in my bullet journal last 2018 is my gratitude log. With it, I am encouraged to continuously find something to be thankful for in a day. Most of the time, it is easy to write something I am grateful for but there are days, I must admit, that it is a struggle to maintain a thankful and positive perspective. 

Yet even in those dark days, one can still find something to be joyful about and I know this is possible because of the joy God had given me as His adopted child. As 1 Thessalonians 5:18 says, "Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." (ESV)

So I want to begin this brand, new year by thanking again the previous year for its many blessings and lessons. 



Marriage First

When I became a mother, I admit I have delegated the majority of my energy and time for my little Queen B. As the first three years of a child's life is when he is most dependent on his parents, it is easy to forget my duties as a wife and partner to my husband. Yet I am a wife first before I became a mother. 


Date night with J

Early last year, J and I had an opportunity to attend a seminar about family hosted by our local church which truly enlightened me about my wifely duties and responsibilities. Those lessons were further reinforced during our Family Camp last October. J and I learned to communicate more efficiently about our needs and wants to each other. We also discovered that we need to make our beliefs and point of views as a family clear and clarified. We are thus welcoming 2019 with enthusiasm to really work on every aspect of our marriage. 


This family camp is a breakthrough for us!

My Child Needs a Savior As Much As I Do

It is natural to deem children as innocent but truth be told, they are not. I realized based on my observations with my little Queen B as well as attendance on several parenting talks last year that children are bound to be selfish and self-centered, just like us, adults. They also have the tendency to disobey and disregard rules so as parents, it is our responsibility to introduce them to our Savior, Jesus Christ as soon as possible. 

Using age-appropriate techniques and conversations, they must be made aware of their sinful nature and the free gift of salvation. Most probably they will still not understand the Gospel but what's important is we are already planting the seeds which by the grace of God will sprout in the future. I look forward to continuously point my little Queen B towards the cross of Calvary this 2019. 


It is a joy to serve the Lord with our little Queen B. 

Everyone Has Their Own Faith Journey

During the Right Hand of Fellowship (the welcoming of official new members) of our local church late last year, I discovered that I was part of the testimony of a sister in faith. She said that she remembered me inviting her to attend a Sunday service while she was passing by. Honestly, I no longer remember that incident and shamefully, I admit I used to deem her as someone so weak in her faith that she can't practice it. As we talked that day, I was able to really get to know her and her story. By listening to her, I realized that each of us has our own journey with the Lord. Sometimes, it takes a short time to instill a lesson but there are instances that lessons took a much longer period to be fully understood depending on our past experiences. I am grateful to have developed a relationship with her and I look forward to growing with her. I know we will learn a lot from each other and that we can support and encourage one another. 

Aside from her, I am also blessed to have developed friendships with other fellow sisters in faith last year. I look up to those wonderful ladies and they inspire to strive harder in my relationship with the Heavenly Father, with my husband and family, and friends. 

A Stronger and Healthier Self

Last year, I discovered Zumba and it truly helped me on my road to reaching my fitness goals. I have lost weight, trim inches off my problem areas and had fun doing it. I never imagined that I will be doing it through dancing as it had never been a talent of mine. During my first months, I can barely follow the steps and had to rest quite often to catch my breath but with discipline, I was able to improve.  


My road to fitness is not tedious because of Zumba and these lovely ladies as we encourage one another while dancing.

J also took on his own fitness journey last year and has dramatically lost a lot of excess fat. This year the two of us look forward to continuing our fitness journey through exercise and a healthy diet plan. Of course, we will include our little Queen B on these plans. 

A Calmer and Relaxed Homeschooling Routine

I was introduced to the Charlotte Mason Way of Homeschooling last 2017 but I learned more about it last year and was even able to implement some of its aspects with our own homeschooling routine. We started with having poetry tea time followed by conducting nature studies and lastly, we were even able to have a few picture studies. My little Queen B, who is turning 4 years old in a couple of weeks, still does not know how to read. Actually, she can't even tell the name of each letter in the alphabet but the Charlotte Mason Way of Homeschooling helped me not worry but instead, let and encourage my child to learn at her own pace. 


Developing my child's appreciation of poems through Poetry Tea Time.  

This 2019 it is my goal to read Charlotte Mason's books so as to further understand her principles in educating my child. 

A Potty Trained Child

Last year, my little Queen B potty trained herself with minimal intervention from us. I can't believe how easy and smooth the transition has been. Currently, she no longer uses her potty and prefers to use the actual toilet. She had been sleeping overnight without diapers for months now with only a few bed wetting incidents. 

Beginning a Zero Waste Lifestyle

I must admit we are still far from a truly Zero Waste Lifestyle but I am pleased to say that we were able to significantly cut down our waste through changes in our daily habits last year. From 2 to 3 bags of trash per week, we are now down to 1 bag of trash per week, sometimes even less. I am grateful that in our own little way we are helping the effort to save and preserve our planet. 

Joy in Journaling

I have made use of planners for years but it was only last year that I was able to really maximize its use and benefits. Last year, I started doing bullet journaling and it has made me more organized and intentional. My bullet journal also serves as my Faith Journal. It has helped me develop a grateful heart and a more positive perspective in life. It has also kept me more prayerful last year which is a part of my discipleship that I really struggle with. My Faith Journal also allows me to harness my creative side by doing Bible Art Journaling. This 2019, I intend to continue this practice and even take it a notch higher. 


Scripture writing and Bible Art Journaling are creative and relaxing ways to grow stronger in one's faith. 

2018 has brought heartaches and problems but it has also brought growth, discipline, intentionality, contentment, and deeper joy. There are still so many lessons and blessings I have gained last year; I may never finish this post if I list all of them and some I have chosen to keep for myself. Someday, I may share them but for now, I need to treasure them privately. 

I am excited for what 2019 got in store for me, my marriage, and my family. As early as now, I am already seeing and feeling God's amazing work in our lives and I look forward to growing more with His guidance in every aspect of my life this year. So 2018, thank you so much for your blessings and lessons. 2019, let's do it! 

What are the things that you are thankful for last year? Please do share below and together, let us praise Him for His faithfulness. 

Yours, 


Lady

Comments

Popular Posts