Benefits of Reading

Books are like friends to me. They are always there for me. When I'm feeling low, they are there to distract me from my worries and uplift my spirits. When I need to escape, they are there to transport me to a place I have never been. When I'm happy, I usually celebrate with a book in my hand. When I accomplish something, I usually reward myself with a book. Apart from my family, books are a constant in my life. 

Today, we are celebrating the International Day of the Book, also known as World Book Day. April 23 as World Book Day was first thought of the Valencian writer Vicente Cavel Andres as a way to honor the Spanish writer Miguel de Cervantes whose masterpiece Don Quixote has been translated into more language than any other book with the exemption, of course, of the Bible. April 23 is Miguel de Cervantes' death date. So in 1995, the United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) declared that the World Book and Copyright Day would be celebrated on April 23, which also happens to be William Shakespeare's death date as well as either birth dates or death dates of other prominent authors. 

And in celebration of all the books I have and will read, let me list 11 reasons why every one of us should make reading a habit. 


1. Reading provides mental stimulation. 

Just like doing Zumba or running exercise our cardiovascular system, reading exercises our brain. According to studies, regular reading keeps our minds sharper longer. 

2. Reading reduces stress. 

Reading in bed after a long day is one of my favorite ways to de-stress, that is why there are always books beside our bed, apart from our little Queen B's read-aloud books. Reading a real book actually relaxes us more than reading e-books as the screens of our phones and tablets emit light in the blue spectrum which can suppress production of melatonin. Melatonin is a hormone produced by the pineal gland and regulates sleep and wakefulness. 

3. Reading increases intelligence. 

As Dr. Seuss once wrote, "The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." Reading a good book opens up a whole world of knowledge. My enjoyment of history came from my reading of historical fictions. Since I know that most historical fictions are not accurate, it encourages me to research more about historical figures and events which means additional readings. The same thing happened when I started reading science fictions, mystery and crime novels, and even non-fiction books. 
  

4. Reading expands your vocabulary

I credit my 6th grade English teacher as the one who instilled in me a love for words but reading is my avenue of expanding my vocabulary. Being articulate is of great help in any profession. The knowledge of knowing that you can speak to anyone can be an enormous boost to one's self-esteem. This is why don't be afraid to read aloud books to your children that contain seemingly highfalutin words. Currently, I absolutely adore Beatrix Potter's books and the original Winnie the Pooh series as they have words that even I don't know the meaning. Not only I can help expand my little Queen B's vocabulary, I'm also expanding mine at the same time. 

5. Reading improves your memory. 

Studies show that those who engage their brains through activities like reading, chess, or puzzles could be 2.5 times less likely to develop Alzheimer's disease than those who spend their downtime on less stimulating activities. Because when you read a book, you have to remember an assortment of characters, their backgrounds, their actions, arcs in the story. I can actually remember book characters much better than the names of my students. 

6. Reading strengthens your analytical thinking skills. 

When my little Queen B and I read Manana, Iguana by Ann Whitford Paul for the first time, she completely surprised me when she predicted what will happen next to the story. In her mind, she had taken note of the details in the story and was able to tell what Iguana's friends will do next. I don't do it always but every now and then, I ask her what she thinks will happen next in the story. Sometimes, she predicted it correctly. Sometimes, she doesn't but it's okay because I know that her analytical thinking skills are growing. 

7. Reading improves your focus and concentration. 

My family knows better than to start a conversation with me while I'm reading. (J is still getting the hang of it.) When I'm reading, my full attention is on the story - the rest of the world just falls away. Reading trains us to be more attentive and focused. Since attending last year's Philippine Homeschool Conference, I have started reading aloud a book only once during my read-aloud session with my little Queen B. I have learned in a break out session about Narration that this method trains a child to listen intently as they will only hear the story once and they have to narrate it with as many details as possible after. This trick has worked wonders. Instead of running around while I read or just half-listening, my little Queen B will now stay by my side so she can understand and see the pictures in the books. 


8. Reading helps you write better. 

Writers learn how to craft prose and even poems by reading the works of others. Back in high school, we were asked to write our own sonnets- Shakespearean style. I was the only one who was able to write one that correctly follows Shakespear structure. I believe my constant reading of his sonnets had helped me to do that.  Reading expands our vocabulary, exposes us to different styles of writing which we can later utilize when we do our own writing. 

9. Reading is entertaining. 

I can lose myself in a good book for hours. There are days that I barely have done anything except reading. There are books I was able to finish in one sitting. Books ignite my imagination and sense of adventure. 

10. Reading can make you more empathetic. 

Reading, especially literary fiction, introduces us to characters of different motivations, system beliefs, and background. Reading about their thoughts and emotions helps us be more empathetic towards others as we are made aware that others may feel and think differently than us. We may not agree with other people's choices and actions but reading helps us understand them and not judge them.

11. Reading is contagious. 

I believe that most parents want their children to enjoy reading and become readers. Well, one way to ensure that is by regularly reading aloud to them. J and I have been reading aloud to our little Queen B since she was still in my womb and that habit has continued up to this day. Actually, I plan to read aloud to her until she probably goes to college. New studies have shown that reading aloud to kids throughout their elementary school years despite knowing how to read on their own already may inspire them to become frequent readers. Frequent readers are those who read five to seven days per week for fun. Another way to encourage them to become voracious readers is for us to become voracious readers ourselves. Modeling is always the best way to make children do behaviors and habits you would like them to practice.  


Frank Serafini said, "There is no such thing as a child who hates to read; there are only children who have not found the right book." This is true for each one of us. There is a genre for every literate person on the planet, you just have to search for it. There is something out there that can capture your curiosity and imagination. So today, celebrate World Book Day by opening a book and replenish your soul for a little while.  

Happy World Book Day!

Reading with you, 

Lady

Comments

Popular Posts