Getting Fit with Zumba


A long time ago I dreamt of becoming a dancer but despite my enthusiasm for the art, I really don’t have the natural talent for it. Every step takes effort for me.

As the years pass by, I just lost interest in dancing and later on even the confidence to try so when a neighbour invited me to join the Zumba class she attends nearby, I was very hesitant to join especially since this particular class is held at a very public place where a lot of people can see and judge me. But my current exercise routine is not giving me the results I wanted and I know I needed something to boost my metabolism so I mustered the courage to try and attend a class.

That was two and a half months ago. Since then except when I have prior commitments, I attend that Zumba class regularly and now even though slowly, I’m getting the results I wanted. I have lost around 10 pounds; have become noticeably slimmer and even gain back that confidence to dance. I’m still not a natural dancer. Some routines are challenging for me and I still take more breaks than I would like but every day I believe I’m progressing. As they say, “Slow progress is still progress.”

The other day I attended my first Zumba event. For two hours, hundreds of ladies (and even some guys) danced almost non-stop. We were of varying ages, body type, and fitness levels but all of us have something in common, the desire to be fit and healthy through Zumba.

At my first Zumba event.
Zumba is a dance fitness program created by Colombian dancer and choreographer Alberto Perez in the 1990s. It incorporates dance and aerobic movements performed to energetic music. Its choreography includes steps and routines from various dances like hip-hop, samba, salsa, and others. Squats and lunges are also included. There are different types of Zumba classes depending on your age, fitness level, and goals. These are:

  • Zumba -  the original program. It is a total workout, combining all elements of fitness like cardio, muscle conditioning, balance, and flexibility. 
  • Zumba Gold - for active older adults who are looking for a modified Zumba class. The routines are done at a lower intensity. 
  • Zumba Step - is a lower body workout that increases cardio and calorie burning. 
  • Zumba Toning - perfect for those who want to put extra emphasis on toning and sculpting their muscles. It makes use of toning sticks. 
  • Aqua Zumba - is a low-impact, high-energy aquatic routine.
  • Zumba Sentao - is for individuals looking to strengthen their core. It uses a chair as a dance partner. 
  • Zumba Gold Toning - tailored for active adults who want to focus on muscle conditioning and lightweight activity. 
  • Zumba Kids - for kids 7 to 11 years old. 
  • Zumba Kids Jr - for kids 4 to 6 years old. 
  • Zumbini - for parents with their 0-4 years old kids. 
  • Zumba in the Circuit - for Zumba fans who wants to add circuit training.
  • Strong by Zumba - for those looking for a more challenging, high-intensity interval training workout.  

So why is Zumba very popular? Most probably because of its numerous benefits which include:
  1. It burns calories. The combination of aerobic exercise and resistance training makes it effective in burning calories. Depending on one's age, gender, and workout intensity, one can burn 300 up to 1000 calories during a class of Zumba. 
  2. It promotes endurance. When I first started doing Zumba, I already need a break after only one song but with continuous attendance, I can already last until we are given a water break which is usually after 20-25 minutes after beginning. Zumba increases the strength of one's heart. 
  3. It improves coordination. Coordination is easier when one is younger but as we age, it becomes challenging so Zumba helps in maintaining and even improving it. 
  4. It is a full body workout. Every part of one's body is on the move when dancing. Yes, there are steps that highlight a specific body part but in general, this fitness method makes use nearly all muscles and joints. 
  5. It boosts one's confidence. At first, there are steps or routines that I'm shy to even try but as time passes by my inhibitions lowered enough for me to try those moves, however, imperfect and awkward I may feel doing them. 
  6. It improves one's moods. Zumba is a great workout to get rid of all the stress of one's day. Exercise releases endorphins, also known as happy hormones, in our bloodstream. I always leave a Zumba class happy and relaxed.  It also helps that some of our instructors are natural comedians. 
  7. It is fun for everyone. Whatever one's age, fitness level, or goal, there's a Zumba class for you.Even my little Queen B enjoys dancing with us.  
  8. It gets one hooked on exercise. Since Zumba is such an enjoyable workout, you'll want to come back thus keeping you on a healthy routine. 
  9. It is social. At a Zumba class, one will meet and interact with fun, nice, and interesting people. An extrovert will naturally love this type of workout. While for introverts like me, Zumba can be daunting at first but it had helped me to get out of my shell and build relationships with others. Once in a while, our group have snacks after our class. 
With my newfound friends and journey-mates to a healthier and stronger woman.
Bonding after a Zumba session.
I'm glad I tried dancing once again through Zumba. I'm still quite far from my fitness goals. I didn't gain my excess fats overnight so why should I expect it to be gone overnight too? But even though the process is taking a long time, it's okay because I'm enjoying it so much. I look forward to every Zumba session and that what makes getting fit easier. I dubbed my Zumba class as my happy hour!

Of course, to be fit one has to do more than exercising. Diet is very important so for the past couple of months I am also changing and improving my diet. I have lessened my carbohydrates intake. I avoid sugary drinks and chips. I try to eat healthier dishes. Also, I do additional toning exercises at home with weights, kettlebell, jump rope, and even a resistance band. I also walk a lot. There are still a lot of habits I need to change like not sleeping late which is so hard for me as I'm a natural night owl. Hopefully, I'll have the discipline to enforce that very soon. Again, I have to keep in mind my word of the year.

January 2018
April 2018
What fitness programs have you tried? Why not try Zumba and have an instant party every class? Let's be intentional in being the healthiest, strongest version of ourselves. 

Dancing with you, 

Lady

Comments

Popular Posts