Discipline: My Word of the Year

The other day, while browsing through my Instagram feed, I came across a concept I haven't heard before - the personal word of the year. It goes like this: one will choose a word, usually an action word or an adjective, that will be one's guiding principle for one whole year. This movement immediately caught my attention. 

Looking back, if there's one word that can best describe my 2017, it would have been Intentional. Last year, I have learned to be (most of the time, anyway) intentional in my choices, reactions, and actions. I tried my best to first step back, look carefully at the details, and then imagine the big picture before making a decision or a response. I applied it in my personal life, in my marriage, in my parenting, in my friendships and other relationships, and most importantly, in my fellowship with God. Being intentional helped me grow in all those aspects of my life tremendously last year. 

Having a personal word of the year is, I believe, something simple yet drastic action I can do to make 2018 my best year yet. This year I would like to continue the changes and commitments I have made last year as well as finally accomplish those goals that I either kept failing at or just gave up on. Maybe I can even add new ones as well. And that one word that I think will perfectly help me to accomplish all of those goals and objectives is Discipline

As a noun, the Collins English Dictionary defined discipline as the practice of making people obey rules or standards of behavior. And a verb, if you discipline yourself to do something, you train yourself to behave and work in a strictly controlled and regular way.

Like a lot of people, I do make New Year's Resolutions. But I must admit, 99% of the time, I fail to execute my goals because I lack the discipline to see them all through. (Who can relate to me on this? Please, tell me I'm not the only one.) One obstacle and I'm usually off the wagon. So this 2018, I'm making discipline my personal word of the year. 

I like what the apostle Paul wrote about discipline in 1 Corinthians 9: 24-27. He said, 

"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize? So run that you may obtain it. Every athlete exercises self-control in all things. They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we want an imperishable. So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air. But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified." (ESV)

We are all runners in this race called life. But unlike other races where there is only one winner, in this race, all of us can be champions, though in different ways. So whether we are aiming for a perishable or an imperishable wreath, just like the apostle Paul, discipline is the key.  

Another reason why the word discipline just resonates with me is that in a couple of weeks my little Queen B will become a threenager. Yes, you read that right, a threenager. George is becoming a handful! She can be adamant about getting her way to the point of unreasonableness. So now more than ever, we need to discipline her. 

The Lord in Proverbs 23: 13-14 reminds parents, 

"Do not withhold discipline from a child; if you strike him with the rod, he will not die. If you strike him with the rod, you will save his soul from Sheol."(ESV)

Disciplining, I believe, is an important and necessary aspect of parenting a child because let's be honest, our children are not always little angels. They are capable of mischief, selfishness, and even hurting others. Of course, I do believe that most of the time they do this unintentionally. They still have little control over their emotions especially the "negative" ones and in turn, their reactions toward those feelings. For some, maybe they are not taught often enough of what is right from wrong. And this responsibility mainly falls on our shoulders, my dear fellow parents. 

As my little Queen B's primary caregiver, most of the disciplinary actions she receives comes from me. Honestly, I'm stricter than her Daddy. Yet, despite those painful but necessary interactions, she's closer to me. When she needs comfort, it is me she looks for. Because even though I'm the one who disciplines her, I'm also the one who constantly lavish her with attention, assurance, praise, and love. With prayers and grace from God, it is my hope that she continues to be receptive to our teachings. 

Lastly but most importantly, I chose discipline because of its etymology. The English word discipline comes from the Latin word discipulus, which means pupil or disciple. As Jesus Christ's disciple, I crave his teachings, instructions, and yes, correction. Proverbs 3: 11-12 reminds us, 

"My son, do not despise the Lord's discipline or be weary of his reproof. for the Lord reproves him whom he loves, as a father the son in whom he delights."(ESV)

And in Hebrews 12: 8-11, it is said, 

"If you are left without discipline, in which all have participated, then you are illegitimate children and not sons. Besides this, we had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for good, that we may share his holiness. For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it." (ESV) (emphasis mine) 

Whenever I sense that God is correcting me, I am thankful because it is one way that I feel His love for me, that I am His daughter. He cares about what I think, feel, say, and do. Most of the time, this discipline is painful. It goes against what I think is right and deserving of me. Sometimes, it takes a while for me to admit that I am wrong. But in the end, when I finally accepted His truth then I feel much better, and I hope, becoming a better disciple of Him. Last year, I have cultivated my discipleship but I can't stop there. Discipleship is a life-long process so I need to discipline myself lest I might lose the race.  

As early as now, I am claiming that this year, with God's grace, I will be able to exercise discipline in all aspects of my life. Please include me in your prayers and feel free to make me accountable. 

How about you? Have you chosen your word of the year? I wonder what it is. Please share them in the comments section below and let's hold one another accountable. 

Yours, 

Lady

Comments

Popular Posts