Remember Me


Remember me
For I will soon be gone
Remember me
And let the love we have live on
And know that I'm with you the only way that I can be
So until you're in my arms again
Remember me

During our week-long vacation in Negros last year, we watched the latest Disney-Pixar movie, Coco, with J's side of the family. Honestly, I don't know how much of the movie my little Queen B truly understand as the story is geared towards older kids (adults, especially parents, will love this movie too) but she did enjoy the musical parts and found Dante, the dog/spirit guide, funny. 

The film features the Mexican holiday Dias de los Muertos or Day of the Dead. Dias de los Muertos is a multi-day holiday that commemorates the memories of one's friends and family members who have died. Mexicans believed that their departed loved ones visit them on that day. To honor them, they set up ofrendas or private altars which are decorated with marigolds (famously known as Flor de Muerto or Flower of Dead), toys for dead children, favorite food and drinks of their loved ones, and other offerings. 

The dead ones, who reside in the Land of the Dead, can only visit their family if their picture is in the ofrendas. If not, they cannot pass through the bridge that connects the Land of the Dead to the living world. Also, the dead ones may experience a second death or final death when the last person who have memories of them (either actual or memories of stories told about them) died or just no longer remembers them. Coco reminded me of the many, wonderful lessons I have learned from the Life and Legacy Discipleship Group I participated in also last year.

During reunions and gatherings, memories of our departed family members or friends are common topics to be talked about. So it's no wonder that it's quite normal for us, human beings, to desire to be remembered by future generations. The question is, how do we want to be remembered? What kind of legacy do we want to leave the next generation? Do we want to be remembered for our talents, accomplishments, or character? Do we want people to talk about us fondly or with distaste? 


Of course, I do hope that I will have so many years with my family especially my little Queen B. I would like to see her grow up. I want to be beside her during the important days of her life as well as the ordinary ones. But I know that the expiration date of my life is not in my hands, only He knows that. Every day as I watched the news, I can't help but be always reminded that we are not in control of everything. Anything can happen; you can be at the peak of health one day and so sick the next. As James 4: 14 said, 

"Yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes."

Through Life and Legacy, I discover that I want to leave a worthwhile legacy to my little Queen B, my husband, family, and friends. And that is a life lived for God's glory! 



Living a life for God's glory does not mean I will be perfect from now on. It does not mean I can and will always be patient, loving, understanding, forgiving, and many other good qualities. I still have my sinful body and one way or another, it will betray me. Romans 3: 23 serves as a reminder that, 

"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." (ESV)

And as the apostle, Paul said in Philippians 3: 12, 

"Not that I have already obtained this or am already perfect, but I press on to make it my own, because Christ Jesus has made me his own."(ESV)

Living a life for God's glory, for me, means admitting my weaknesses, exposing my impurities and flaws, allowing God to discipline me (however painful it may be), repenting from my sins, and then allowing God's never ending grace and mercy to cover me, comfort me, refresh me, and guide me to be more Christ-like. But doing this, I must admit, is easier said than done. This journey is not easy. The road ahead is paved with trials and struggles but the Lord promises that the reward will be worth it.


My mentor, Tita Baby, shared to us an experience of hers that I hope someday I will have. During her vacation in the US to visit her youngest son, after attending a church service, her daughter-in-law told her she can actually get a cake that the church is serving to its attendees. These cakes were donated to the church by various bakeshops. Tita Baby answered it's embarrassing to get one and her daughter-in-law promptly corrected by quoting her husband. Her husband, Tita Baby's son, always said to her and their children that the only thing they should be embarrassed about is a sin. Tita Baby can't help but be overwhelmed with emotions because that lesson actually came from her. It was one of her constant reminders to her children when they were growing up. 

My heart fills with excitement with the thought of something like that happening to me. After being an instructor for a decade, I must have touched hundreds of lives but I know that not all of those students will remember me fondly. Most of them will probably remember how strict I am with them, the difficulty of my exams, and my stern lectures. They are part of the many regrets in my life but I can't wallow in those regrets. As Paul said in Philippians 3: 13-14, 

"Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus." (ESV)

The Lord with His infinite mercies gave me a chance, an opportunity to leave better memories with the people I am with today - my husband, daughter, family, friends, and my brothers and sisters in faith. With my words, I can inspire them to draw closer to Him. With my actions, I can be the hand that God uses to touch their hearts. And with my prayers, may they feel God's love for them and find the rest and joy He can only give. 

And when I inevitably hurt them, however unintentionally it is, may they extend grace towards my unfailing. Likewise, I will extend this grace, which I bountifully receive from our Lord to them also. 



Come to think of it, it's okay if they forget about me, if they will remember Him. As Galatians 2:20 reminds us, 

"I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me." (ESV)

Once again, let me ask you this question: How do you want to be remembered?

Yours, 

Lady

Comments

Popular Posts