Thank You, 2017!


Facebook reminded me today that this date last year we took down our Christmas decorations. One of the things that I look forward to the Christmas season is decorating our home. It is something I enjoy and I believe, I'm good at. Last year, I had a blast in doing a rustic Christmas for our decor theme. So this year, months before the December (the month J and I decided to have Christmas decorations in our home) I am already thinking of themes. Should we do a red and silver theme or a pink and gold one? But this holiday season, our home is devoid of any Christmas decor. There is no Christmas tree to take down. 

Yet, instead of sadness, I feel joy and contentment because behind the absence of any Christmas decor in our home is a beautiful reason. All of our decorations remain in storage because of God's faithfulness. 

Last year's Christmas Eve, in the middle of our preparations for the dinner we'll be hosting that night, we discovered a big leak in our kitchen sink. We tried to solve the problem numerous times but only an overhaul of our kitchen sink will completely clear up the problem. It became then our goal to have our whole kitchen and laundry area renovated last year, 2017. Sadly, due to some unfortunate events, we constantly have to push back this plan. Honestly, I have already accepted that it won't push through. 

But after our sort of impromptu vacation in Bacolod, we realized that we actually have enough fund left for the first part of our kitchen renovation. Yes, it is still far from finished. There are still more things to do like paint it, place floor tiles, install kitchen cabinets, and update a few of our kitchen appliances but at least, we have already started the renovation. And we're hoping that before this new year, 2018, ends, our kitchen renovation will be completely finished. It will be our goal and prayer in the coming days. 

Our kitchen renovation journey reminds me of the lesson Jesus Christ wants his disciples to understand and apply as described in Matthew 6: 25-34:

"Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat or what you will drink, nor about your body, what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing? Look at the birds of the air: they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? And why are you anxious about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is alive and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will he not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? Therefore do not be anxious, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For the Gentiles seek after all these things and your heavenly Father knows that you need them all. But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. 

Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble." (ESV)(emphasis mine)

This passage teaches us that God always has our best interest at heart. He knows our needs better than ourselves. And He can provide those for us just like what He does for the birds of the air. So instead of running after material wealth, fame, and related things, our Heavenly Father wants us to seek first His kingdom. 

All throughout 2017, J and I have been blessed with various opportunities to grow closer to God and serve Him. After years of failed attempts in reading the Bible in its entirety, we were able to keep up with our One-Year Bible Reading Plan. We were able to attend various fellowships in our local church; he attends the Men's Fellowship, I the Women's Fellowship, and both of us the Couples' Fellowship. This is aside from our Growth Group that last year has been pretty regular. After praying for it, I have also been blessed with having a discipleship group; my Life and Legacy DG. I have also been given the unexpected honor to be a speaker last September in the Women's Fellowship. Both J and I were also able to volunteer to various activities hosted by our local church. 

 During one of our LavLife's Fellowship

During our Life and Legacy Graduation Fellowship

Aside from those activities, J and I undergo experiences that I know is God's way to mold our characters into His likeness. One of those is the fall out we had with a friend. Unwittingly, we have offended a friend due to some things we have said. It was a painful yet enlightening experience for us. We asked for forgiveness, and even though it took a while to be bestowed, we are glad that it had happened. During those days, it was only God's Word that helped me understand, process, accept, and come out as a victor through that harrowing event. 

In 2017, I have learned to see God's hands in every circumstance I face. So whenever our plan for our kitchen renovation and other projects have to be postponed, I have learned not to be miserable about it but instead, look for the lesson God wants me to learn in it. 

As Max Lucado said, "The circumstances we ask God to change are often the circumstances God is using to change us." How true this is for me last year and I am so grateful for it. God let me went through seemingly unfavorable situations to help me grow and mature as His disciple. 

Now, as another year begins, I want to seek His kingdom and righteousness more. I want Him to be my shepherd. Not because of the material rewards He may provide but because of Him, I have experienced unprecedented wisdom, unending mercies, and grace, unfailing forgiveness, and unconditional love. Through Him, I have found true rest. 

So, thank you, God, for the year I had in 2017. I will keep the lessons I have learned. I will treasure the memories I have made. 


Yours, 

Lady









Comments

Popular Posts