Baby Shower

A party to celebrate the pending or recent birth of a child by presenting gifts to the mother.
From Wikipedia


On the 7th of December last year, J and I hosted our own baby shower. According to etiquette experts, a baby shower should be hosted by a close friend of the mother-to-be as it is rude to ask people for gifts. Actually, a very good friend of mine did offer to help J to plan a baby shower for me but J knows that throwing a surprise party for me is next to impossible.

I sort of have this uncanny ability to detect when J has plans to surprise me especially with something of this magnitude.  For example, on our very first Valentine’s Day as a couple he planned to surprise me with home cooked dinner at my place. During those days, aside from my regular classes I tutor Korean students for extra income so after work I kept asking him thru text messaging if we are going to meet or not. He said he is busy and can’t meet me for our very first Valentine’s Day. What a lame excuse! We worked for the same college back then and I know his schedule. He is definitely not busy. In my irritation, I asked a friend to have a night out with me instead. J had no choice but to admit to me that he is at my home cooking a special dinner for me. (I had to cancel my plans with my friend. Glad she is the very understanding type!) So a baby shower for me with our home as the venue is definitely not a secret J can keep.

Hosting our own baby shower is easier to plan and execute. Not all of our friends know each other so with us doing the invitation even J’s friends get to be invited. There is also no need to distract the mom-to-be before the event. And as far as I know, none of our friends were offended that we invited them for my baby shower. (If there were some, maybe they are the ones who did not attend. Joke! Some friends were not able to attend for valid reasons. ) Besides, we are not part of the upper class society or royalty to follow etiquette rules strictly. The party is for us to celebrate the pending birth of our precious baby and it is a way for us to thank our friends for being very glad for us for having this amazing blessing from above. Gifts are not required for entrance anyway!

J and I decided to have a Christmas-themed baby shower because (1) it is Christmas season at that time and (2) we commemorate our Lord Jesus Christ birth on Christmas and our baby like Jesus is a gift from above.

Decoration is quite easy because we already have our Christmas tree all dolled up. We just placed additional Christmas decors all over the house for a more Christmassy vibe.

Our menu was composed of dishes that usually grace the Noche Buena or Christmas dinner table of Filipinos. For appetizers, we served bread and my favourite Queso de Bola. For our diet conscious guests, we have a make-your-own salad bar. We also have a mini-pasta bar. Beef Pares (I have cooked this dish only once before this event) and my special Pork Menudo were our main dishes. Lastly, J’s version of fruit salad and cakes serve as our dessert offerings. Almost all our guests got seconds so I guess they enjoyed the food.


My special Pork Menudo

Beef Pares

Quezo de Bola and Dinner rolls. Definitely Noche Buena staples!


Creamy Tuna Sauce for our mini-pasta bar
Traditional Spaghetti Sauce for our mini-pasta bar

Ribbons tied around these mason jars instantly gave it a Christmassy vibe!

A mirror doubles as a menu card

Our simple set-up. Unfortunately, we were unable to take pictures of the salad bar and the dessert station.

J and I also have a blast in preparing a few baby shower games.  Our first game is Bottle Chugging. Two groups were formed; the men’s team and the women’s team. Each member was given a baby bottle filled with pineapple juice to suck. (It is suppose to be beer but not all our friends are beer drinkers hence we use juice.)  The first team to finish all the bottles wins the game and surprise, surprise the men’s team won this game without contest!

Cute baby bottles filled with juice!

The Women's Team

The Winner: The Men's Team
Our second game is Guess How Big my Girth. Each contestant was asked to guess how big my bump is using a piece of ribbon. The most accurate estimate will win. The only single lady in the game won.

For the last game it is Delectably Dirty Diaper. We bought various chocolates, melted it, and place it on clean diapers. Our couple players are to guess the chocolate smeared on the diaper. They are allowed to taste the chocolates if they want. We thought they will find the chocolates disgusting but alas all of the chocolates are gone after a few minutes. Our contestants sure do love chocolates!

Our contestants doing their inspection!

Our chocolate experts!

It was indeed a fun afternoon with our friends and family! Everyone got to go home with brownies we baked and a special message from our little Queen B!


Since our guests arrived by batch we didn’t get to open their wonderful presents with all of them but from the bottom of our hearts J and I are very grateful for your generosity. We actually received additional gifts weeks after the party from our friends who are unable to attend the shower. Truly, our baby girl is well loved even before her arrival. Again, merci beaucoup!

Thank you Paet Family!

Thank you Sis Hermie!

Thank you Lopez Family!

Thank you Hagos Family!
Thank you Par Family!

Thank you Tiongco Family!

Thank you Carol and Matt!

Merci for our little Queen B's Sophie the Giraffe Ate Nice! She especially went to Paris to get this. Really love it!
From J's colleagues 

From J's colleagues also

Normally, it is only the mom-to-be friends who give gifts but J is well appreciated by his office mates that they shower him with baby things also! Thank you so much!


Today, this is one of our little Queen B's favorite toy!


Our Guest Book

 #xoxo





  

Comments

Popular Posts