Of Afternoon Strolls and Snacks

“I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour, if we will only tune in. “– George Washington Carver

Five years ago, J and I had a simple afternoon date at Nuvali in my hometown of Santa Rosa, Laguna. It was relatively new back then. There are only a small number of establishments open for business; one coffee shop and a few restaurants. Definitely, it is a far cry from the Nuvali of today with its ongoing expansion.

We spend that afternoon walking around the man-made lake and talking about anything under the sun topics. One of the things that I love about J is he is a great conversationalist.  We can spend hours talking. There is no dull moment with him around. It was a great afternoon that day. The weather was nice. It was summer so it is hot but a cool breeze made it bearable. I remember the sunset being particularly beautiful that day. After walking, we had coffee and some pastries at the nearby Starbucks.

J and I five years ago. 
I never imagined that one day J and I will be spending another lovely afternoon walking around the man-made lake and having coffee afterwards with a baby in tow. It is a “going full circle” moment for me.

It seems that our little Queen B loves the outdoors! She can’t stop looking around while we were walking. Well, J and I are walking while our darling baby is safely secured in her stroller. She is particularly fascinated by the Flame tree with its bright orange flowers. She is also fond of staring at the blue sky with its white fluffy clouds.

Hey, baby can Mommy have your attention?
J and I wanted our cutie to grow with love and respect for nature. Sadly, it is one attitude that a lot of parents nowadays neglect to teach to their children. I have seen several kids and even their parents casually throw a piece of trash to the sidewalk even if the trash can is just a few yards away. I desire that my baby will put her trash to its proper place however inconvenient it may be for her (J and I religiously practice this). I want her to know the importance of reusing and recycling materials. I wish for her to find joy in the presence of Nature’s beauty and delight in our God’s wonderful creations.

One day, I'll let you play on the ground but for now I'll carry you.
I realized that one way to ensure that our baby will care for nature is to expose her to it always. Instead of always going to the mall, we should bring her more often to parks, zoos, botanical gardens, and other similar places. Maybe one day, we could even hike a mountain as a family or do scuba diving together! The choices are endless! The mere thought of adventures we could carry out makes me excited.

I think she prefers Mommy. 
But teaching our sweet baby to love nature does not mean we always have to go out. Even at the confines of our home, I know we can impart this to her. We have a small garden. When it is not too hot outside, I bring our little Queen B there and I try to explain to her what she is seeing. I actually tell her what are plants, their functions, and even their parts. When she is a little older, she and I will do gardening together. I have always wanted to have an herb garden so this is the perfect time to make that dream a reality.

Pretty as the flowers! (Same background as our picture 5 years ago.)
After our stroll, snacks and coffee is in order (I’m a breastfeeding mom so I’m always hungry!). J and I decided to try Toast Box for their Nanyang Kopi and Kaya Toast. According to their website, Toast Box is a reflection of the coffee shops from the 60s and 70s, where the common practice for breakfast was a fragrant cup of Nanyang Coffee accompanied by freshly toasted bread. I really like the design of their shops with its white furniture and shabby chic decor. It is actually a realization of my dream interior design for our home.

Toast Box- Nuvali's shabby chic interior
J and I tried their Toast Box Set. He had the Kaya Toast Set while I had the Kaya Cream Cheese Set. Each set includes two soft boiled eggs, a cup of Kopi, and the toasted bread with its corresponding spread. We enjoyed our food immensely. J loves their Kopi as it reminds him of his mom’s brewed coffee. I even gave half of my cup to him as it is too strong for my taste but I thoroughly enjoyed my toasted bread. Kaya toast is a popular snack in Singapore and Malaysia. It is prepared with kaya or coconut jam and butter. Other toppings can be included like cream cheese. The toast is sometimes dipped into soft-boiled egg (I don’t know this back then but I’ll definitely try it on our next visit). We’ll surely go back for another taste of their Kaya toast and rich coffee.

Kaya Cream Cheese Toast and Kopi
Overall, it was an afternoon of simple joys in life and that is just the way I want it to be.

All smiles after my afternoon with the loves of my life.
How about you, what are your simple joys in life? Please share your stories in the comment section.


#xoxo

Comments

Popular Posts