Labor

noun | la×bor |
 : the process of childbirth, especially the period from the start of uterine contractions to delivery
From Merriam-Webster Dictionary

I am not afraid of hospitals. Doctors and nurses do not terrify me. Check-ups don’t make me nervous. Injections and IV therapy don’t scare me. I do not faint at the sight of blood. I believe I have a high threshold for pain. So when I got pregnant I know I wanted a normal delivery.

In Hollywood movies or series, pregnant women always go to these classes where they learn breathing techniques and exercises to help them give birth. They are usually joined by their partners. I wanted the same experience for me and J so I researched on child birth classes in Manila.

Unfortunately, there are only a few people who conduct these kinds of classes in Manila. I actually don’t know anyone personally who have attended such a class. It is not the norm for us Filipinos I believe. Some parents-to-be do read about labor and delivery. Others might even watch videos on YouTube. I do hope that all OB-Gyne doctors orient their patients but the vast majority, sadly, go in blind. Thankfully, seeing that beautiful baby after labouring for hours is so worth the pain. (Buti na lang, kasi kung hindi matagal na tayong extinct!)

J and I have chosen the child birth class conducted by Chiqui Brosas. Hers may not be the most popular but I have read good reviews about her classes and her venue is the most convenient for us. Her class consists of four three-hour long sessions. There are around 20 couples in our class. Majority are first time parents like us but a few are second timers or even third timers. We are required to bring a mat preferably a yoga mat and pillows.

Our first day of class selfie.

On our first session, Miss Chiqui introduced herself and told us her own labor stories. She got five kids and all of them are delivered via normal delivery without the aid of any pain-reducing medication. Each of her pregnancy and labor story is different from one another. She categorized the length of labor into three types; speedster, textbook, and potterer. A speedster labor is when it is 8 hours and below. A textbook one is when it takes 12 to 24 hours before the baby arrives while a potterer takes more than 24 hours. Of course, everyone wanted to have a speedster! We also got to introduce ourselves to everyone.

On our second session, we did pregnancy exercises which includes tailor sitting, tailor reach, breast support exercise, Kegel exercise, butterfly, pelvic rock, foot circles, leg stretches, squatting, and side relaxation. This is the part we used the mat and pillows. These simple exercises can strengthen a pregnant woman’s body and keep her fit until D-day. Take note though that if there are complications in one’s pregnancy these exercises should not be done without your doctors consent. We also did some breathing exercises. Miss Chiqui taught us two types of breathing pattern; the Lamaze method and the Bradley method. The first changes with the phase of labor you are into while the latter is consistent with an abdominal breathing pattern. Miss Chiqui is an advocate of the Bradley method as it is easier to do and remember.

We also learned about the signs and stages of labor during our second meeting. Signs include breaking of the water bag or amniotic fluid, several bowel movements, presence of the mucus plug, nesting, flu-like symptoms, menstrual-like cramps, back pain, and engagement. A baby’s head is engaged when it had descended into the mom’s pelvis and is considered as the correct position for birth. The stages of labor include Pre-labor, Early Labor, Active Labor, Transition, Pushing, Delivery of the Placenta, and Recovery. Each stage comes with its own set of unique experiences. Miss Chiqui also discussed what’s a labor bag and what should it contain.

On our third gathering, we learned what happens to our bodies during labor and what could be our emotions during each step in the process. Husbands are warned not to panic with the wife. They are to stay calm and they should help the mommy stay calm also as this will make the experience easier for her.  We also learned about different medications that can be given during labor especially those that can minimize the pain. At this point, I’m decided to have a zero medication labor unless absolutely necessary. Miss Chiqui recommended that we make birth plans to discuss with our doctors. My favourite part of her class is the massage lessons. These massages can help us moms to alleviate the pains of pregnancy and labor. Ever since we learned this, I often asked for a massage from J. (Aba, siya kaya ang magbuntis at baka naka-3 months pa lang suko na siya.)

For our last session, we talked about the basics of caring for a newborn baby like how to swaddle, how to bathe a baby, etc. Miss Chiqui is also a breastfeeding advocate so she shared to us her experience and knowledge about it. We were also visited by some guests that talked about their baby products. We also brought home some freebies from Pigeon, EQ diapers, and Mustela. To celebrate our finishing the whole class, we had a pot bless. Each couple brought foods and drinks to share to everyone.

Freebies!!! Our little Queen B only drinks my expressed milk  with her Pigeon bottle. 

This certificate can actually let J take part in my labor and delivery but sadly, our hospital does not let fathers inside the delivery room. Ipon ipon na lang for the next baby so we can afford to go to those hospitals that can let J cut the umbilical cord. 

I strongly suggest that any couple who are about to have a baby to attend such a class. It is a way for wives to get their husbands takes more roles in her pregnancy and labor. It is a great bonding experience for me and J. We got to learn TOGETHER. Since we created this beautiful being growing inside of me together, it is only right that we learn how she will get out of my womb and how to take care of her together. Parenting, like marriage, is a partnership. Actually, J had memorized the breathing exercise much better than me. He even shared what we learned to his pregnant colleagues.

So were we able to apply what we learned? As of writing this post, I have been exclusively breastfeeding my four month old little Queen B. In another post, I will share the joys and pains of my breastfeeding journey. We followed Miss Chiqui’s way of bathing a newborn especially when our baby’s umbilical cord still has not fallen off.  As for my labor and delivery, well, I gave birth via Caesarean section last January 22. Nasabihan pa tuloy kami na nagsayang kami ng pera sa pag-attend ng child birth class!

After getting out of the bed the morning of that day, I felt a brief gush of fluid down there. We learned from Miss Chiqui that one difference of water bag breaking from urinating is the former you can’t control. So I immediately checked its smell and it doesn’t have that characteristic smell of urine. I woke J up and told him about it. We messaged our OB about what happened and she advised us to go to the ER of our hospital of choice which in this case is the St. John the Baptist Medical Center. Since I don’t feel any contractions yet, we took a bath and ate breakfast before going to the hospital.

Upon arrival at the hospital, the on call OB at the ER conducted an IE and confirmed that my amniotic fluid is indeed leaking but I am still 1 cm dilated. I was admitted without more ado. An hour after admission, I was injected oxytocin to induce labor but to no avail. My uterus does not want to contract. I was stuck at 1cm. Our OB advised us to have a C-section delivery to avoid the possibility of my baby and I acquiring infection. J and I are both aware that one can only have 24 hours of labor upon the breaking of the water bag. Since there is no progress, we decided that our baby will be born via C-section.

 
I can really indeed smile pa eh hindi naman ako nag-labor!
On the way to the operating room, I kept praying for God to keep me and my baby safe. This is definitely not the way I planned to give birth. My mind is already set for a normal without any medication delivery. I have not even read about Caesarean section delivery since there have been no indication that I’m a candidate for it. No high blood pressure. No Gestational Diabetes. No placental problems. My baby is even engaged weeks before. But who am I to question God’s plan for me? So I just prayed.  I prayed that no complications will occur during the operation. I prayed that I and my baby will both survive the operation.

At 5:44 PM, weighing 6.2 lbs our Georgina Blair emerged from my womb with an Apgar score of 9/9. Our hospital practices Unang Yakap so I immediately got to hold and breastfeed her. I may not remember much of what happen, a side effect of the anaesthesia but I will never forget the first moment I laid eyes on my baby. Her innocent eyes looking at me captured my attention. It was love at first sight!

Our little Queen B's first picture!

I may not have the birth that I wanted but I definitely have the baby I will love unconditionally for the rest of my life. I am grateful to my husband who has been there every step of the way. Mukhang hindi na natin magagawa yung mga breathing exercises kasi CS na uli yung next. I am also thankful to my doctor; Dr. Joy Lan Magbanua and the rest of the medical staff of St. John the Baptist Medical Center. It may not have the facilities of more known hospitals but all of the nurses, staff, and other personnel are efficient and super maasikaso. We are also very appreciative for the prayers and support of our family and friends. I would like to say special thanks to our pastor, Pastor Erwin Amador and our growth group leader, Elder James Paet with his family for visiting us at the hospital and praying for us and our little bundle of joy.  Lastly, thank you God for your wonderful blessing!

P. Erwin and his wife Christine's gift of wisdom to us! Those books keep me sane for the first three weeks after giving birth. 

#xoxo







Comments

Popular Posts