Name

noun | nām |
: a word or phrase that refers to or that can refer to a specific person
From Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Decision making is an integral part of parenthood. From the moment we found out I’m pregnant, J and I are faced with countless decisions to be made regarding our little Queen B. A lot of it are trivial like should we buy the white onesies (because it is gender neutral and can be reuse again if ever we will be blessed with a baby boy in the future) or the pink onesies (since we already know our baby’s gender when we started buying baby things). Some are crucial like should we vaccinate or not (we choose to vaccinate despite claims that it can cause autism). Also, even though J and I think alike most of the time there are still instances that we prefer different things which sometimes makes decision making more difficult. One decision that took us ages to settle on is the name of our baby.

Even way back when we still don’t know our bun in the oven’s gender, J and I are already at odds. He wanted to name our baby if it is a boy after our fathers. I am indifferent with the idea. I already have a nephew named after my dad while J is named after his father that had gone wrong (His dad’s name is Emilio. Unfortunately due to clerical error J’s name in his birth certificate is Emelio.) So I put my foot down and declared that I will not give birth to this baby if he will be named after his grandfathers (I actually prefer the name Kieran for a boy ever since I’ve read that name in a pocketbook back in college). On our CAS (Congenital Abnormality Scan) ultrasound we found out that we are actually having a girl and another battle ensues.

This time J wanted to name our daughter after her great grandmothers. He combined their names and formed the name Aurora (their actual names were Aurea, Esperanza, Rosa, and Leonora). Well, the idea was nice but Aurora happens to be the name of Disney’s Sleeping Beauty. Of all the Disney princesses, Princess Aurora is the one I never liked so I opposed J’s suggestion. I even told him that if he named our baby Aurora I will call her Beasty as Maleficent did in the movie. So we are back to square one.

The most unlikable Disney princess for me. This image is from disney.wikia.com. 

A few days before our baby shower where we planned to formally announced our baby’s name we, finally, agreed upon a name. It’s Georgina Blair.  Our baby is named after our two favourite characters Georgina Sparks and Blair Waldorf of the tv show Gossip Girl.

The original Queen B! Headbands would definitely be a staple in our baby's outfits.
 This image is from Popsugar.com
The master schemer of the series. This image is from gossipgirl.wikia.com

Gossip Girl is actually a part of our love story. J sort of forced me to watch an episode of it back when he was still trying to get close to me. Back then, I’m not into series that features teenagers because well I’m way past that age bracket. I’m more into crime solving series like Criminal Minds, Castle, Numbers, and the likes. So one day during a break at work, he suggested that we watched this series his cousin recommended to him. I was immediately drawn to Blair Waldorf’s snobbish yet sensitive character while J likes Georgina Sparks’ mischievous manipulations. Watching the series had been bonding time for the two of us (It is also the reason why New York City is on the list of our dream places to visit!). So we named our baby after these two memorable characters because we liked them and we thought their names sounded good together.

It was only later on that I researched the meaning of those names. Georgina is the feminine form of the name George and it means “tiller of the soil or farmer”. Meanwhile, Blair is generally a masculine name that means “plain or field”. What a nice combination then! J and I wanted our Georgina Blair to be a planter of good deeds. We aspire for her to be considerate, kind, and generous of others. Of course, we would also love our little Queen B to have some traits of those characters we named her after. I would like our baby to have Blair Waldorf’s dedication in achieving her dreams and courage to say sorry when she is in the wrong. I hope our George like Georgina Sparks will not let anybody trample on her self confidence. It wouldn’t hurt also if our precious baby grew up having their fashion sense!

Choosing a name is definitely not an easy task for parents. According to a survey done by yourbabydomainname.com, 8% of parents reported baby-name regret- generally due to following trend names or holding on to childhood favourites. These parents believed that they should have given names with special meanings. I’m happy that we don’t belong in that 8%. Our baby’s name have a cute story and meaning she can be proud of.

Our very own little Queen B with the signature headband. 


#xoxo

P.S. Babycenter.com has listed some points to consider when picking names. Here is the link.










Comments

Popular Posts