KBL (Kadios, Baboy, at Langka)


It’s been raining a lot lately. During this cool weather, a steaming bowl of soup is a great way to perk up one’s day. So today I’m sharing the recipe of my version of a famous Ilonggo soup dish known as KBL. KBL stands for Kadios (Pigeon Pea), Baboy (Pork), and Langka (Jackfruit) which are the major ingredients of this dish.

Kadios, also spelled as kadyos, is a legume fruit. Legumes are a class of vegetables which includes beans, peas, and lentils. They are a significant source of protein, dietary fiber, carbohydrates, and micronutrients. In Negros, kadios are sold either fresh or dried. J and I usually bought the dried ones so we can take it back to Laguna with us. So far I have not seen kadios being sold in markets here in Laguna. Batwan is another key ingredient for KBL though one can also use tamarind as a souring agent.

Here is my simple recipe of KBL:

KBL (Kadios, Baboy, at Langka)

Ingredients:
1 whole pork leg, preferably the front, sliced
½ kilo of unripe jackfruit, chopped
½ cup of kadios
4  cloves of garlic, roughly chopped
1 medium-sized red onion, julienned
several pieces of batwan fruits (1 packet of tamarind seasoning mix can be used as an alternative)
1 pork bouillon cube
2-3 tbsp of fish sauce
1 tsp ground pepper
1 tbsp of vegetable oil
8 cups of water

Instructions:
  1. Soak the dried kadios overnight.
  2. In a pot, put in the sliced pork leg, strained kadios, and ground pepper. Pour in the water and bring to a boil. Continue boiling until meat is tender (usually 1- 1.5 hours). I pressure cooked the pork so my cooking time is reduced to 20 minutes. I made use of the natural release method once the cooking time is completed. Remove the pork and skim off scum from the stock. 
  3. On a separate heated pot, sauté garlic and onion in oil.
  4. Mix in the pork and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Pour in the fish sauce and continue sautéing for another 2-3 minutes. 
  5. Pour in the stock with the kadios. Add the batwan fruits and pork bouillon cube. Bring to a boil.
  6. Mash the batwan fruits. Like in my Cansi, I used my fork to mash the batwan in a ladle then I mixed back the mashed batwan. (If using the tamarind seasoning mix, add it once the mixture start boiling.)
  7. Add the jackfruit. Let it continue boiling for 10 minutes or until the jackfruit is tender. Turn off the heat. 
  8. Serve with rice and enjoy!




It will be a while before I’ll be serving this again to my family since I’ve already used up all the batwan fruits we were able to bring home back with us. I still have some kadios left though so if ever J and I will have a craving for KBL I’ll just use the tamarind seasoning mix or maybe some of you know another recipe for kadios. If you do, please share on the comment section.

The same day I cooked KBL, we were gifted the following bounty from the sea:

A favorite of mine: Squid! Look at the size of that squid and there were 3 of these. They were turned into calamari, squid ink pasta, and adobong pusit.
Parrot fish which my Mama cooked into a yummy Sweet and Sour.

Stingray  which Mama turned into Kinunot na Pagi.
and we are thankful for them. 

#xoxo



Comments

Popular Posts