J's Birthday Celebration at The Mind Museum

J is an Electronics Engineer while I’m a Chemistry Instructor so I guess it is pretty obvious that we love Science! We may not look like it but deep inside we are geeks. So for J’s birthday celebration when I suggested we go to The Mind Museum he immediately said yes.

We have been to The Mind Museum years ago as our Valentine’s Day date (I told you we are geeks.) but we only visited the special exhibit which at that time was about the Science of Sounds. Since I still have work that day, our date was just breakfast with his officemates at Something Fishy in Eastwood then a short tour in The Mind Museum so I can catch my afternoon classes. So we were filled with excitement to finally be able to do a proper tour of The Mind Museum.




The Mind Museum
J.Y.Campos Park, 3rd Avenue, Taguig, Metro Manila

Operations Schedule:
Tuesday to Sunday (Closed on Mondays)
9 AM- 12 NN
12 NN- 3 PM
3 PM – 6 PM

Of course, we can’t celebrate without our little Queen B. We also brought along my niece Aki as she haven’t been to The Mind Museum either and our visit to The Mind Museum is a great way to instill in her a love for Science. We only paid 1005 Php for our tickets; 625 Php for J and 190 for me and Aki. I used my PRC ID as a Professional Teacher and my niece is a public school student so we got discounted tickets for a three-hour pass. Our little Queen B’s entrance is still free of charge.

We arrived at The Mind Museum at around 2 PM so we explored the Science-in-the-Park and The Mind Museum Store first while waiting for the 3 PM to 6 PM time slot. Science-in-the-Park is a playground and science exhibit rolled into one. Kids can play and at the same time discover the applications of different science principles. It is divided into Math, Music, Living, and Water pockets. Meanwhile, The Mind Museum Store is filled with souvenir items like shirts, key chains, tumblers, etc. and various educational toys for all ages.

Even as a toddler, Aki loves slides. 

Bubbles!

At exactly 3 PM we along with the other guests were requested to stay at the Introductory Hall as a Science mover and AEDI, a robot, welcome and give us a brief introduction about The Mind Museum. Unlike most museums, The Mind Museum does not have tour guides. Its administrators want its guests/learners to let their curiosity guide them in exploring the 250 hands-on and minds-on exhibits inside and outside the museum. The Mind Museum is divided into several galleries namely the Atom Gallery, Life Gallery, Earth Gallery, Universe Gallery, and the Technology Gallery. Aside from that, the museum also has the Hall of the 10 Most Beautiful Experiments in Science and Hall of Philippine Science.

Atom Gallery
Chocolates contain chemicals that produce a kind of euphoria which is why we feel happy when eating chocolates.  This giant chocolate welcomes guests/learners into the Atom Gallery. 
Before deciding to be a stay-at-home mom, I have been teaching General Chemistry for the past 11 years. For the first 2-3 years I still have to study and continuously review my lessons before my classes. As the years passed by, I have memorized the topics so much that I can discuss them even when I’m asleep. I must admit that there were several instances that I got bored with my topics. I even entertained thoughts about changing career as I find myself not enjoying what I’m doing. I never thought I’ll miss talking about atomic orbitals, energy levels, and the Periodic Table but I did while in the Atom Gallery. Maybe instead of fairy tales I’ll discuss the development of the Atomic Theory as my little Queen B’s bedtime story.
 
Viewing atomic orbitals in 3D made me miss the wonderful world of Chemistry!
Partially gave up caffeine while pregnant but ever since giving birth my daily cup of coffee instantly perks me up and  sustain my energy to care for my ever active and kulit little Queen B!
Now you know why I hate it when you fart in front of me. 
Life-sized periodic table. Inside each class compartment is a sample of the element.
Daddy J, can we build something like this for Georgina? 

Life Gallery
J really wanted to become a doctor, most probably a pediatrician according to him. Unfortunately, entering med school is one very expensive endeavour. With his sisters studying also, J decided not to pursue medicine and instead studied Engineering as a Department of Science and Technology (DOST) scholar (By the way, I’m a DOST scholar too. Again, we are geeks!). Despite of that, Biology remains as J’s favorite branch of science (Well, honestly, it is the reproductive system he is more interested about. Hahaha).

My curious little Queen B. 
George, this is a prokaryotic cell. 
Biology is also a favorite of mine. I have been blessed to be able to teach a subject about the introduction to the Biological Sciences in the previous university I worked for. The Life Gallery made me missed my Biology co-instructors especially the feisty but extremely kind Ma’am Saberola.

Earth Gallery
It took me years to appreciate Earth Science. Well, I still don’t completely understand the weather systems and for the life of me I won’t be able to tell whether a certain rock is an Igneous, Sedimentary or a Metamorphic rock! But at least I can explain to Georgina what the Tectonic Plate Theory is and how mountains are formed.

With Stan, a cast of the most complete fossil record of a T-rex. 
 
With a globe showing the Earth's various weather systems. 
Universe Gallery
Upon entering this part of the museum, we noticed that we have already spent 1.5 hours inside the museum. Since we were still in the first floor of the museum and were afraid we won’t have enough time to explore the exhibits at the 2nd floor we decided to just make a quick tour of this part. Due to our decision, we were unable to enter the Planetarium and watch the film they regularly screen there. A more in-depth exploration of the Universe Gallery is one reason to visit The Mind Museum again.

Do you want to be an astronaut my baby?

Technology Gallery
Almost the entire second floor of The Mind Museum is dedicated to the exhibits about technology. The Technology Gallery is divided into 5 categories namely the Who We Are, How We Live, How Things Work, Here to There, and How We Know. From the Science of Scents to the presence of Pi in nature and world-renowned artworks to the different types of footwear, there are a lot of applications and inventions in the Technology Gallery that will make us realize that everything around us are amazing and educational whether they are natural or man-made.

That is not a bullet Daddy. That's mom's lipstick! - Georgina Blair
 
A toilet bowl. There is a science behind it!

One of our favorite parts in The Mind Museum is the Forever Lab where it shows exhibits about how we can prolong our life. I think this is a special exhibit.


More playtime then for you my little Queen B. 
Want to live longer? Have more nuts, turmeric, whole grains, legumes, soy, and high polyphenol wine in your diet!
Of course, laughter goes a long way in prolonging one's life and making it more meaningful and fun!
The Mind Museum has exhibits for everyone to learn and enjoy. Whether you are a grade school student or a college student or even a professional, you’ll find something that will interest your inner geek. The birthday boy despite having so little shut eye has fun in his simple celebration.

Three hours is definitely not enough to study in-depth all the exhibits in The Mind Museum. Retaining all the science principles you will learn is another matter too. Several visits are needed to thoroughly explore the museum. J and I vowed to return several more times for the coming years for our little Queen B.  

Happy Birthday to my favorite geek in the whole wide universe!

With God in the center of our marriage there is forever with you, J. 

#xoxo

Comments

Popular Posts