Love Endures All Things


“Love endures all things.” – 1 Corinthians 13:7

At our church service last Sunday, we were asked to think about our relationships and whether they lead us towards God or not. As I reflect on my current relationships, I realized how blessed I am to be surrounded by people who tirelessly help me on my journey as a Christian. There are those who teach me. There are those who learn with me. There are those whose transformed lives inspire me. There are those who pray for me. There are those who support and uplift me. There are those who invite me to activities that will enrich my Christian life. These people, these relationships persist in their belief that I am not beyond redemption. They see my potential, the goodness in me despite my failures and shortcomings. I am constantly thankful for having them in my life.

On the other side, I have relationships that in a different way lead me also closer to God. These are the people who keep me on my knees – the family and friends who still haven’t recognize Jesus as their Lord and Savior, the loved ones who seem to have lost their way, the people who have hurt me, the people I have hurt, and the people who reject me despite my continuous outpouring of love for them. They are the ones that break my heart. They are the ones I have numerously shed tears for. They constantly remind me that I should give grace because our God has never stopped giving me grace, too. They are the ones that teach me that loving others means enduring all things for.


The word “endure” in 1 Corinthians 13:7 is hupomeno in Greek. Hupomeno is actually composed of two words: hupo meaning under and meno meaning to remain or stay. To endure then means to remain under or stay under. It describes someone who doesn’t quit, someone who refuses to surrender despite the hardships and challenges he may face. Loving others as Jesus has loved us means being committed to stay and work out the relationship, regardless of the effort and time involved.

James 1: 2 tells us, “Count it all joy, my brothers when you meet trials of various kinds.” Those relationships that challenge our patience, give us pain, and push us to our limits are our trials. And instead of complaining and praying those relationships away, the Bible tells us to be thankful for them. But how can we be thankful for those relationships?

Jesus in Matthew 5: 44-48 explained it to us, “But I say to you, ‘Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, so that you may be sons of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun rise on the evil and on the good and sends rain on the just and on the unjust. For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Do not even the tax collectors do the same? And if you greet only your brothers, what more are you doing than others? Do not even the Gentiles do the same? You, therefore, must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.”

Those relationships are our opportunities to show that we are children of God. How we handle those relationships is what sets us, disciples of Jesus, apart from others. We can be kind and understanding to our unbeliever loved ones. We should be patient with those who seem to have lost their way; never tire in reminding them that their Father is waiting for them to go back home. We should forgive those who hurt us whether they asked for it or not. Ask forgiveness to those we hurt and don’t lose heart if they don’t. Be compassionate to those who reject us, the quality of our love does not depend on its reciprocity. By doing so, we are reflecting the kind of love we have received from God to them.

In Hebrew 12:3, we are told, “Consider him who endured from sinners such hostility against himself, so that you may not grow weary or fainthearted.” Jesus Christ has shown to us the perfect example of love enduring all things for. He is sinless, blameless and yet He willingly submitted himself to be punished and killed for our sins. He endured all the humiliation, torture, and pain of being treated as a criminal so we would have a way to go near to the Father. Let’s make Jesus as our inspiration and our source of strength.

Galatians 6: 9 promises, “And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.” Our endurance will never be in vain. Maybe we will be the hands God uses to touch the hearts of our unbeliever loved ones. Someday, the lost will find her way back to Jesus; this time more faithful and dependent on Him. Our forgiveness will heal our wounds and maybe our transgressors as well. We will be forgiven and will now have a chance to change their perception of us. Those who reject us may one day realize that we are worth having in their lives. And even if those things don’t happen, our endurance will produce steadfastness in us as we continuously depend on God to sustain us.

Of course, there are relationships wherein enduring all things for is not applicable and acceptable. These are the wrong and abusive relationships: an affair with a married man or woman, a sexual relationship with the same sex, and all other illicit relationships. Included also are relationships with physically, sexually, and even emotionally abusive partners. All of them must be ended or corrected immediately. Ending these relationships is also a way of showing endurance because we are willing to suffer, to deny ourselves so that we’ll be able to follow God’s commands.


How about you? Are you willing to endure all things for others? What have you endured so far? Do share your story below and let us encourage and inspire one another.

Enduring with you, 
 Lady 


Comments

Popular Posts